Chapter 11

After a half hour, I ventured downstairs to join everyone for Luncheon. Alannah and Keiran were present when I joined the table of my friends and family. I knew that the bruise was already forming and I would have a lot of questions to answer. I did not look at anyone as I took my seat, but I noticed Derek's seat was empty. Maybe he won't join us at all today. Alannah grabbed my chin and turned my face towards her.

"What did he do?" She asked quietly. "He's noot turnin' intae me Pa, is he?"

"No, he's noot." I whispered, grabbing her hand. "Doon't make a fuss, please." Alannah nodded and kissed my cheek. Keiran looked over at us and I quickly turned my head. Kieran was like an older brother to me. If he knew what Derek did, they would be outside before I could lock all the doors and windows.

"Imogen," He said, moving towards the two of us. The rest of my family ate on, except for Bambi and Annabeth. "What are ye hiding?"

"Nothin'." I mumbled, grabbing my fork and eating my lunch.

"Yore lyin'. Look meh in de eyes." Keiran commanded. I did and his eyes widened. "He's a bloody bastard."

"Sir!" Annabeth scolded, jumping to her feet. "How dare you speak of your gracious host like that!"

"Look at what yer brother did tae her!" Keiran exclaimed. "Im's eye is bruisin' as we speak." I felt multiple sets of eyes on me and I blushed.

"Oh my goodness." Bambi murmured. "We must get something for her."

"I'm fine. I've pressed meat tae me eye already. In fact, we' ll beh eatin' it for supper." I said light heartily. "It's nothing, really."

"Im, I want you to come home with us. No buts." Keiran said, rising to full height. "He's noo good for ye. We'll getche an annulment, or sometin'."

"No!" I exclaimed, shooting to my feet. "I'm staying here!"

"What is all the commotion?" Derek asked as he strode into the room. Keiran turned towards him with his jaw set. Alannah and I lunged for him, but we were just a tad too late. Keiran marched over to him and grabbed his collar.

"We need to talk." He said, pulling Derek from the room. I followed them out and grabbed Derek's hand.

"No." I said. "Keiran, you're my guest. I do not want a fight in my house." I stood in front of Derek and squared off to my best friend.

"He hit ye!" Keiran exclaimed. "He doesn't deserve ye, Imogen."

"Don't you think I know that?" Derek shot at my friend, wrapping his arms around my waist.

"Git yer hands off 'er." Keiran growled. "Im, lets get you packed. We're leavin' tomorrow."

"I'm not leaving, Keiran. I'm staying here. It's my duty." I said, feeling my chest ache. I lied. It was not my duty. I could leave if I wanted to. But I was in love and I would not leave Derek. I felt Derek tense behind me. "I'll write to you if something happens, again."

"A'right." He murmured. "I'l see you in the dinnin' room." He mumbled, brushing past us. Derek spun me around gently and looked into my eyes.

"Im, I would like to apoligize for my actions earlier." He said, cupping the side of my face.

"Ye can keep yer 'pology." I snapped. "It don't mean notin'. Ye've been oon an' oof wit yer emotions since Christmas! I'm doone. I don' care if ye have an affair, I don' care if ye hit meh again, I'm expec'in' et tae 'appen again."

"Why do you doubt me?" Derek said, closing his hands around my shoulders. "I care for you, Imogen. So very much."

"All ye say is lies." I whispered, shaking my head. "Our marriage was doomed froom de start."