Chapter 10- Mine

The morning light shines bright across my eyes as i want to stay resting.  I wish i knew what time it is. Today i get to do fence duty, killing walkers as usual, getting sweaty. But before i do anything else, i want to check on Aron.  I rethink Beth's advice  from yesterday and what she said spoke to me.

Once i reach  there, i peak through the curtain and see Beth is in Aron's arms.  A smile creeps upon my face.  I knew something was going on with them. I stop being a peeking tom and start to walk through the tunnels.  These tunnels are dark and in order to see, you need a torch.

"What are you doing up early?" Next to me stands Hershel. "I guess i just woke up naturally. What are you doing up Hershel?"

Together we walk through the tunnels, to the kitchen. 

"I've had my fair share of sleep.  We have jobs that  need to be done and theyre not going to do themselves.  You young lady, have one of the toughest today."

Opening the door for him, i respond. "I thought going on a run is the toughest?"

I lead him into the empty room and sit him in the table. 

"It is. That is always the toughest because you don't  know if youll lose someone. The fence is just alot of work too."

I walk over to the counter and begin to put together some hot coffee and cereal. 

"Iris, are you okay? You've  been kind of off to the side dear." Before i can answer his question, the man who i think about walks in along with his side kick Daryl, and  Aron.

"Good morning fellas. Iris and i were just talking about you guys." He winks. " She made some coffee.  Go help yourself." I make my way to my seat and make direct eye contact, shaking my head no, hoping that answers his question.  He can ask the why's and the what happened's later.

"Shit this place need a nice rug where i can relax. Im tired of walkin with shoes all damn day." I laugh at Daryl.

"You're  resting today Darebear." He looks at me. "What the hell did you call me?" I chuckle even more even if Rick makes his way to our table. I'm not letting him ruin my moment.

"Darebear.  It fits pretty well.  Don't  you think Aron?"  I sip my coffee.

"Why are you asking me?"

"Yall better stop with them names. I'll  start calling you Ivan. Then ill start treating you like a boy. I don't  treat boys nicely either" 

"Bite me" i say sarcastically.

~

After  breakfast, i make my way down to the fence as it starts to pour.

"It's  good for the plants but not for us.  We still have to do this mucky job." Sasha yells or the heavy pours of the rain. 

We work until we continue  to slip on the mud and we become too close to be grabbed at by the walkers. The rain makes the air smell like wet dog.
"Hey we gotta go now guys!" I yell at everyone.  No body can do this for hours, especially  in the rain.  We are all soaked. A whistle from the far end of the prison calls us back and we all run, half thankful for this rain.

~

We all run in with everything drenched, head to toe.  It feels good to be inside and hear the rain from indoors.  It's  easier to fall asleep but makes everythingy gloomy. It's hard to see when the clouds hide the sun.

I head to my cell and search for dry clothes. The creaks from the door give my attention. 

"Hey Maggie. " I say happily as i continue my search  for a shirt.

"Can't  find anything?" Maggie sits on my bed having her arms crossed her chest.
"I think all my shirts are being cleaned and this is the only one I have.  Do you think i can borrow one from you?" I give up finding clothes.  I have everything else but a shirt.

"Yeah just one second." She leaves the room and in a minute, she comes back with a black tank top. "Thank you  Maggie. Is there anything you wanted to ask?" I know there is something up with her.  She came into my cell...sad, her body position didn't help her either. She came closer to me choking on her words.
"You cannot say anything Iris please.  I can't  talk to Beth or my Dad."

This worries me. "What ever it is Maggie, you'll  be fine." I reassure.
She hesitates  yet again to tell me. "I think I'm  pregnant and I just...i dont-"
I sit there shocked for a minute that babies are being brought into this world. I can't tell her that.

She is silent and stares at me asking for words. I smile. "You'll  be a great mother. If you need anything, just call my name. Her frown grows into a grin.

"Thank you." I go in for a hug but forgot I'm still soaked.  "Ill call you for dinner." She leaves my cell and yet another pair of feet appraoch.

Looking up, it's  Rick.

"Can i come in?" I gesture him with my hand. What is he doing here? Although it might not be a bad thing.  I'm  tempted to jump in his arms and feel the warmth of him.  I bet every girl is jealous that they can't  have this man. I am.

"Do you have a hand towel? " I dig in my bag and hand it over to him. He moves closer to my face and starts cleaning the mud that came with the rain.

"Im sorry for ignoring you these past few days. I just-" i stare at his deep blue eyes.
"Do you even know how i felt?" I look away not wanting to get lost.

"I felt like i was just a cold murder in your eyes.  Like I'm as good as dead.  You ignoring me killed me inside Rick. " he never looked away.
"Every damn night i think that i should have kept my mouth shut. You don't  know what i feel Rick." He then gently places his fingers on my chin and makes me look at him.

"I know what it's like Iris. I know it's  not a good feeling.  I know it makes you feel like shit and i should of thought about it harder. I have alot going on and when you're  on my mind, It's  hard to talk to you." I'm  confused.  How is it hard to talk to me? "How?" I say quietly, ignoring that I'm still wet.

He inches closer to my face.
"Because, you mean a pretty damn lot to me and I can't figure out what it is."