Chapter 5- First Run

It's been one hell of a week since I've been here. After the day Rick came down, he split Aron and I. He moved me and made me stay in my cell. After that, each day I've spent it with a different person or the walkers.
I've gotten to know Hershel and found out his story. The farm, his wife...a bundle of things. He's really sweet and is really the voice of the group. Here and there Rick and I would talk but about how I need to control myself. It was frustrating me but behind those demanding eyes, there was something about him that itched me to figure out.

The third day I hung around with Maggie and occasionally her husband Glenn. They are such a great couple and they found happiness with eachother in a world surrounded by death.

The fourth day, I was with Carol. She told me about her daughter Sofia and everything that went down. I know how she feels about it and I don't blame her for shutting herself down.

The days went as i continued to meet people and started to feel accepted. Kids started to trust me and their parents. What i really wanted though was to spend a day with Rick.

~

I start tying my shoes on my bed as Aron comes in. "Hey." He says but in a questioning form.

"What's wrong?" I assume. During the week, he was still bland at time but he has gotten better with my.  From time to time he would be himself. He hesitates but sits next to me. "I should have asked you when you said it,but I was an ass. The first day you came , you said you would have came if your group. What? you didn't finish. Iris what happened?"

I start to twiddle my thumbs. Sweat starts to drip and my hands begin to shake.
I debate on telling him. "Aron, don't worry about me. What's done is done and all that matters is that im here now." I force a smile at him lying. Those are times i will never forget. We are interrupted by a cough and looking, there stands officer blue.

"Sorry, Did i interrupt something?" He asks quietly. Before I can answer Aron looks at me "No. You didnt." He gets up, leaving me clueless.

"Everything okay?" He asks in a concerning voice. I look up at him. "Just great." I lie. "What do you need?" in need of changing the subject.

"How about if you went on your first run with me today? It's just going to be me and you since we have the others on their jobs." My heart beats happily. I guess this was one way to spend time with Rick Grimes. Girls in the community would talk about him all the time. I would sit there trying my best not to agree.

"Great. Gather your stuff and be by the field in 10 minutes." With that, he leaves my cell.

~

Carl, i found out by Rick who is his son, opens the front gates with Michonne. As Rick drives off past the dead, questions start to evolve in my head. I try not to make it sound awkward that it's just us to. "Usually, who does the supply runs?" I ask while avoiding eye contact. I watch as the walkers on the fields snarling from a distance.

"Daryl, Michonne, Sasha and I but today, i just need to see what you're like on runs."

He lets out a huff. "I heard good things about you and the work you've been putting in this week. I want to test it and see if what they're saying is really true."

I chuckle a bit to myself then look at Rick "They're all good peoole Rick but im surprised im still here." He looks at me quickly and i turn away.

"Why do you say that?" He speeds past a guy yelling for help down the road. His backpack dragging across the road as walkers approach from the woods.

"When i was deciding to leave the first day you found me, i already told you about me and groups." I hope i don't need to explain myself further. To have information forced out of me. He keeps focused on the road ahead, steering towards a main road.

"What's up with you and groups? Daryl told me you didn't want to talk about it and you didn't even tell your own brother today." I begin to feel frustrated. He heard that?

"Some things are meant to be hidden Rick." I say quietly. In a soft, raspy voice, he makes me look at him.

"Not with me."