Chapter 37-Tension (Part Two)

We continue our walk to no where. I've been carrying Judith in my arms for hours after Sasha had her break down. She decided it was best to stay away from me. Everyone is tired, hunry and sleep deprived. In the corner of my eyes, i can catch Rick looking at me. "Like but can't touch Officer?" I try to give my best smirk. Judith starts babbling at me causing us all to smile. Then Rick's arm goes around my waist. "Take a break you guys. Sit down, Iris and I will hunt on this side. Daryl can you take the other?" Why is he taking sudden breaks like this? "I'll come-" "I think it's best you stay here." Rick interrupts Abraham. I pass Judith to Carl who is just as confused as i am. "You have your gun?" I ask him. Smiling, he taps it with his hand.  "let's go before sundown hits." Rick informs me. With my gun and knife out, im prepared for my next meal. "Rick what are you doing?" He doesn't answer until we move further down, dodging or killing walkers.  "When was the last time we could be alone? Just in eachother's presence?" I stop in my tracks thinking. There was none since the prison. I stand there, still trying to reach behind the back of my mind until two warm arms grab me and push me up against the tree. Rick keeps his hands on my waist, looking at me lustfully into my eyes. "It's hard to remember." My heart cannot beat faster than it already is. I slip my hands around his neck and he leans in, hungrily kissing me. I've missed this. We could barely be alone and this is the time. "Rick..." i whisper softy. "Shhh." He places a finger on my lips. "We're going to have to be quiet." His lips are placed on mine once more, allowing me to melt in his arms. I tug at his shirt as it gets more heated. I haven't seen him bare chested in so long. His hands then lift up my shirt, exposing me only in my bra. You can hear our desperation in each breath we take. I couldn't be more in love with this man. "You're beautiful." He says while looking directly into my eyes. His once baby blue eyes now turns dark. He kisses me neck, leaving love marks that causes me to let out his name again.  His hands go to the waist line of my pants and only we know why we are really out here.

I pick up my clothes from the ground that seem to be spread everywhere.  "You know Rick." I sat as I struggle to put on my pants. "We came out here to come out hunting. Our hair looking like this.." I straighten out his messy hair. "Does not look like hunting." He chuckles as he throws me my shirt. "Well, by how loud we were, they can already guess." I felt my cheeks turn cherry red as he came closer to me. His hand lifts up my chin as he leans in closer to me until we connect once again. "I love you." He says while looking into my eyes. My smile couldn't get any bigger. "I love you too." He backs up as we start heading back but my legs ache. "Did i do something to you?" He laughs at me while putting an arm around my waist. "I don't know Officer, did you? I guess I'll have my revenge next time."

As we walk back, everyone waits where we left them. "You guys find anythin?" Maggie asks looking at us both then me, laughing. I cross my arms over my chest as Glenn has a smirk on his face too. Rick clears his voice. "We did but a walker got to it before we did." He lies. Gabriel is just shaking his head while others are just as confused as me.  I look at Rick and notice his pants are not zipped or buckled at all. Crap. I feel embarrassed now even if we've all once taken care of our needs.  "Rick, XYZ!" Glen bursts out.  My God why am i with these people.  I walk over to Carl who sits with Maggie and Judith. "Thanks Maggie." I sarcastically say. "We've used that huntin' and explorin' excuse so many times. I cannot believe you guys didn't even notice." I cover Judith's ears and shake my head. "Of course Maggie of course." I throw a small rock at Glenn that was next to me. He couldn't stop laughing to himself. "You guys get any luck?" Daryl gets out of the woods. "A walker got our food." Rick informs. Daryl has been depressed ever since Beth. As of now, he needs somebody. "What's that?" Further down the road are water bottles. All of us sprint.

From A Friend

"Do we take it?" Carl asks, happy there is water.  Eugene goes for it, guzzling it down but Abraham smacks it out of his hand. "No, it can be a trick." Rick states back in his defensive mode. Rain takes over us bring joy. This is one of the things we've been waiting for. I smile looking up to the sky and Rick next to me, stands behind me doing the same thing. Thunder roars in the sky. "Follow me! There's a barn!" Daryl yells over the heavy drums in the sky.
    We are huddled around each other out of the rain. Carl sleeps on the side with Judith in his arms as I'm in Rick's.  Everybody here is sort of in their own world now, taking in that this life is never going to flee from us.

We all look at Darl. "He's gonna be okay. He bounces back more than any of us do." Carol sighs. " I used to feel sorry for kids that have to grow up now. In this. But I think I got it wrong. Growing up is getting used to the world. This is easier for them." I look back up at Carl and Judith. For both of them, this will be seen as normal. "This isn't the world...This isn't it." I close my eyes, leaning into Rick's chest. This isn't the world.
"It might be. It might. That's giving up. It's reality. Until we see otherwise, this is what we have to live with." Rick redirects both me and Carol. His hands lock with mine.
"When I was a kid... I asked my grandpa once if he ever killed any Germans in the war. He wouldn't answer... He said that it was grown-up stuff, so... so I asked if the Germans ever tried to kill him. But he got real quiet." I listen as he takes in another breath. "He said he was dead the minute he stepped into enemy territory. Every day he woke up and told himself, "Rest in peace. Now get up and go to war." And then after a few years of pretending he was dead... he made it out alive." Rick never talked about his family so much. Here and there I'd get a glimpse of it.  Heck, the same goes for him and i don't blame anyone. All of us continue to listen to Rick.

"That's the trick of it, I think. We do what we need to do and then we get to live. But no matter what we find in DC, I know we'll be okay. Because this is how we survive. We tell ourselves... that we are the walking dead."

"We ain't them." A branch snaps as Daryl creeps closer. "We're not them." He repeats.  "Hey." Rick tries to calm him.  "We're not...We ain't them." Rick sits in defeat. Taking his hand to my lips, i kiss the top of his hand. I understand him and so does Carol.
Thunder grows strong and the lightening flashes rapidly. That's when the doors rattle and snarles. Hopping off of Rick's chest, i run to the door pushing death away from all of us. Their snarling grows as the wind howling outside increases. My arms ache in pain and the fear builds. Rick follows behind me then Daryl and everyone else. Even Carl comes to help. We're not dying today.  We are not letting death win this easily.

I didn't sleep last night nor did Rick, Daryl or Abraham. Practically everyone slept with one eye open. "I'm sorry." Abraham says against the other side of the wall with Rosita. "For what?" I ask with sympathy.  "For giving you guys such a hard time... I see now why you guys are protective. I see the true meaning of family now." I hug tight to my kids as Rick kisses the top of my head. The front doors swing open with Maggie and Sasha  pointing their guns at a new face.

"Is there a Rick Grimes?"