Chapter 42 - A Rusted Blade

—Focus returns to Anthony—

It took three days to reach the border of the Lightning Nation—to be exact, we were in one of the many Wind Nation checkpoints nearing the Lightning Nation border. We had stopped here to let Ace rest a little bit more before as we prepared ourselves to begin our mission into the Lightning Nation.

———

"Jay," a man in armor called, walking into the tent we were staying, "everything is complete as you commanded. You can safely head out when the sun sets to draw less attention to yourself, and your carriage has been fitted with a near invisibility spell to help with your mission."

Jay stood up and shook the man's hand, thanking him for all his help. The man bowed his head and left the tent—and I saw a flash of sorrow in Jay's eyes as he sat back down. He's been trying to hide it, poorly I must add, but... I couldn't seem to ask him what was wrong—yet again.

"Anthony," Jay said, his voice nearly shaking, "as I told you before, be ready to fight. I don't know what we are about to enter, and we won't be able to protect you if our backs are against the wall. Keep your guard up from the moment we enter the Lightning Nation, till after we leave. I'll be damned if anyone dies on my watch!"

"Don't worry—I don't plan on going anywhere anytime soon. But, please do keep yourself in one piece, it's a bad look otherwise," I laughed to cut the tension. "Besides, can't have my master dying when he hasn't taught me anything yet, right?"

Jay laughed away his concern as his sorrow burned away with a flame I had sparked.

———

Night came quickly, and we began our operation into the Lightning Nation. Ace proceeded cautiously through the trees—often stopping altogether when he got sight of a Lightning Nation post, and we kept moving until we reached the outskirts of a tiny village at sunrise.

"What are we doing?" I asked Jay when he jumped out.

"I need to gather some intel. Here, take this," Jay passed us the dirty cloaks and bandanas we had used to enter the black market. "Put them on and keep your heads down. Let's go."

We followed Jay as he ordered... But I began to doubt what purpose our disguises would serve as we headed straight to the center of the tiny village. And just like clockwork, when I have doubts, at least twenty armored men with swords drawn out surrounded us.

"Jay, it's an ambush!" I yelled, putting my hand on my sword.

"Don't worry," Jay whispered, with his hand stopping me.

I began to hear laughter... a child's laughter?

I glanced up and saw a young boy sitting on one of the rooftops, watching us.

"Jay!" the boy shouted from excitement. "What's with the bizarre getup? Oh! Don't tell me, did you think I wouldn't be the ruling lord of this land still?" he laughed even harder. "Come now! Off with that ridiculous getup!"

Jay pulled his cloak and bandana off and glanced up at the boy. The boy, in turn, grinned and glared back at Jay—a look that usually gets us into a fight, so my hand was still on my sword just in case.

"It's a pleasure to see you again, Meliodas," Jay said.

The boy snickered as he jumped off the roof, landing in front of Jay, where I got a better look at him. He was smaller than me and dressed similarly to the children I had seen back in the Kingdom—but I knew better than to think he was young just because he appeared like a child.