Act 15: A House

Luke didn't show up the rest of the day, nor the day afterwards. Ashton was actually worried and it expressed this to Calum, who shrugged it off saying that he was just blowing off steam. Ashton reluctantly nodded and carried on with with the rest of his day. But he still couldn't fight off the feeling deep inside him that he needed to check on Luke.

It bugged him throughout the whole day. A constantly nagging voice in the back it his mind telling him all wasn't okay. He tried desperately to ignore the pestering voice but it refused to leave him alone.

So, when the last bell of the day rang, Ashton decided to ditch his plans with Calum and go pay Luke a visit.

He guessed that he would be at home-he hoped so at least. Ashton didn't have a car so he would have to take the bus as close as possible and pray he could find his way there.

As Ashton waited at the stop, he took out his phone and typed the address into his GPS, using the one Luke had texted him before. When the bus pulled up he climbed on and paid his fare before taking a seat near the back. He plugged in his headphones and gazed out the window while the monstrosity of a vehicle spluttered and surged forward down the barren road.

It was a damp and rainy day, a bit chilly due to the fact it was Fall, but Ashton didn't mind. He rather enjoyed the colder months. He had never been one for outdoorsy activities so he loved the time of year where he wasn't scolded for being inside most of his days. Plus he loved the way things looked during Fall and Winter. The trees bright and colorful just before they loose it all and then the beautifully white snow coming in to cover up all the wreckage.

The bus pulled up to a stop about three blocks away from Luke's neighbourhood. Ashton got off and told the driver thank you. He began walking down the street with his phone giving him directions. Ashton carefully followed them as it led him through various streets and crossing. Not many people were out today so he didn't worry about encountering anyone. Which he was grateful for.

After a good twenty minutes more of walking, he was at Luke's house. There were two cars in the driveway which Ashton presumed were Luke and his mum's. He went up to the front door and gently knocked on it three times. A few seconds later, a middle aged woman who looked quite a lot like Luke, answered the door.

"Hello?" She said with a weary smile.

"Uh, hi Miss. I'm Ashton Irwin. Me and Luke are fri-we attend school together." Ashton corrected himself.

Her fake smile turned into a genuine one as she heard Ashton's name.

"Oh, yes, I know you! Please come on in and make yourself at home," she said, beckoning him inside, "Luke's upstairs in his room. Second door on your left, sweetie." She smiled and pointed up the steps.

Ashton nodded, giving her a smile, "Thank you, Miss..."

"Oh, call me Liz, darling. Miss makes me seems old." Liz told him and winked.

Ashton laughed and told her she wasn't at all old before he made his way up the stairs and down the hall, stopping in front of Luke's door. He knocked on it.

"Come in!" Luke shouted from the other side.

Ashton sucked in a breath before pushing open the door.

Luke was lying in his bed with a book propped up on his knees. His head swivelled around to look at the person entering his room and he immediately gasped seeing it was Ashton.

"What the hell? Ashton, why are you here?" He half yelled, half spoke, sitting up straight in bed.

Ashton frowned, "I came to check on you since you haven't been at school lately."

Luke mouthed an 'oh' as he closed his book and set it on his bedside.

"Sorry. That was rude of me to say." He apologised.

"Wouldn't be the first time you said something rude." Ashton retorted.

Luke opened his mouth to say something back but quickly closed it, averting his eyes to his sheets. His hands fiddled around with the plush bedding as an awkward silence developed in the room.

Ashton stood there watching as Luke ignored him. He grew irritate quickly and rolled his eyes, huffing.

"Well, if you're fine then I'll be leaving." He said as he turned on his heel.

"No! Wait!" Luke begged him, getting out of bed.

Ashton turned around. He looked at Luke with annoyance. "What?"

"P-Please stay," Luke said, his eyes darting around nervously but never landing on Ashton.

"Why should I?"

"I-I," Luke whispered, "I don't know. Just, please Ashton."

Ashton sighed but complied. He walked past Luke to his bed and plopped down on it. Luke sat down, too, next to Ashton, but giving him a good bit of distance.

"So..." Ashton said awkwardly.

"I'm sorry." Luke blurted out.

"For what?"

He bit his lip, turning it white.

"For everything." He whispered.

"Glad to know you actually have some sense of remorse." Ashton said with anger laced in his tone.

It was obvious he wasn't ready to forgive yet.

But Luke kept trying.

"I mean it. Ashton, I am so incredibly sorry. I'm being honest. I didn't mean any of it. I'm sorry!"

Ashton rolled his eyes again, "Yeah, well sorry's not going to fucking cut it, Luke!"

Luke shut up. He nodded and looked away. His hands fidgeted around in his lap nervously

"So what's wrong? Why have you been here the past two days?" Ashton asked, already getting fed up with the silence in the room.

Luke shrugged, "Wasn't feeling well."

"I see," Ashton said, a little lost as to what to do now, "Your mum seems nice."

"She is." Luke said.

Ashton scratched the back of his neck. He was growing more uncomfortable by the second.

"Uh, so when will you be back? We need to practice."

"I don't know. Sometime." Luke answered.

"O-oh, okay. Luke maybe-maybe I should leave?" Ashton was really uncomfortable by this point and really didn't want to be there anymore.

Luke looked at him sadly. He unexpectedly reached his hand up, his fingers brushing down Ashton's cheek. He began leaning slightly and Ashton couldn't bare it any longer. He jumped up, exiting the room quickly. Luke called after him but he wouldn't stop.

Liz came out of the kitchen draped in an apron with a confused look on her face.

"Honey, would you like to stay for dinner?" She asked.

Ashton turned around briefly, flashing her a force smile.

"No thank you, Liz. Have a nice day." He said before rushing out the door.

***
I feel bad for doing this but oh well. How's it going guys?

If you read my earlier deleted note you can obviously see I didn't get my electronics taken up thank God. It all went okay.

Dudes all my family is throwing up and shit and then there's me. I'm writing gay fanfiction in my room alone.

By the way, thank you all for your lovely comments on the Playwriter's Note. I really enjoyed talking to you all and getting to know you. You're all so darling and cute.

Love you loads. Stay Lovely. XXX- Hayley