Act 6: A Nurse's Office

The nurse's office is very childlike, Ashton notes. It has many posters with colorful inspirational texts on them, some with just silly little characters displayed on them likes bunnies or kittens. Her curtains are a thick, glittery lilac shade and the padding for the beds is a deep purple. Cutesy knickknacks line her desk, as well as the shelves, with a string of paper creations-many birds- hung on the ceiling of her room. Even her outfit is childish. Teddy bear scrubs with a sticker cased white coat.

She's young, though, not much older than a senior, so that could be why. Her hair is a false red and her eyes are a lovely calming hazel color. Smile wide and bright but not completely straight. No, her two front teeth are crooked, bending slightly inward into her mouth. Ashton likes the fact that her smile isn't perfect.

She approaches him as he wakes up. Ashton groans as the pain begins to pulse through his head.

"Hurt?" She asks, placing a cool hand against his forehead to check his temperature.

Ashton nods.

"Hmm, be back." She says and scurries off.

Before she leaves around the corner she looks back and says, "My name's April, by the way."

"Ashton." He replies and straightens up.

"I know." April smiles.

She leave the room for a few minutes and comes back with an ice pack and cloth in one hand, in the other, a bottle of Tylenol. She gives him two pills from the bottle, apologising for the fact he has to take them dry, and Ashton chokes them down. April wraps the cloth around the ice tightly before sticking it to the bump that had formed on Ashton's head. He flinches at the cold feeling but April just smiles and keeps it on him.

"I'm guessing this wasn't you falling down the stairs, huh?" She asks cooly.

Ashton shakes his head, "N-no, ma'am."

"Call me April, please, I'm barely older than you," She chuckles.

Ashton nods and takes over holding the ice to his head.

"Are you going to tell me who did it?" April asks him.

Ashton says nothing, averting his eyes to look at the shimmering curtains.

April sighs and nods her head. "Didn't think so."

She gets up to walk over to the desk, picking up a mirror from it then coming back. She smiles sympathetically at Ashton before handing it to him.

"Might wanna take a look, babe."

Ashton holds it up in front of his face and begins to examine. He has a gash just above his left eyebrow, his right eye swallow and surely bruising, and his bottom lip has a scab from bleeding.

"And, yet," April says, "You still have a pretty face."

Ashton lets out a breathy laugh before giving back the mirror. April goes back to her desk with it, this time sitting down. She writes in her black notebook while Ashton lies down on the bed, staring up at the paper birds on the ceiling. His head still hurts but now it's just a dull thrumming instead of the pounding it was before. Ashton counts the birds now.

17 birds out of 24 strung up ornaments.

"April," Ashton speaks.

"Yes, love?" She says as she looks at the tired boy.

"Who brought me here?" He asks.

"Some boy named Luke Hemmings."

***

To say Ashton's mother was furious was an understatement. She was the embodiment of anger. The true definition of hateful. She came to the school like a warrior charging into war, demanding to see her son, and to see the person responsible for all this. Her son came, but, unfortunately, the person did not.

She embraced Ashton tightly upon seeing him. Whispering how much she loved him and how grateful she was for him and generally how amazing he was. Ashton smiled at her, assuring her he was okay- although, he wasn't sure if he was more telling himself that than her- then kissed her cheek. She sighed, running a hand trough his curly hair.

"Are you sure? Maybe I should keep you out for a little while?" She asked.

Ashton wanted to jump at the idea, beg to never come back again, but then he remembered the play.

"Maybe only a few days. I shouldn't let this hold me back from my schooling. It's nothing." It was far from nothing, though.

His mother smiled and kissed his forehead. "Such a lovely boy, you know? Don't understand how I was blessed with such a beautiful boy."

"Same reason I was blessed with such a beautiful mother."

She laughed, "Blessed with smooth skills too."

***

To Ashton:
5:20 pm
are u ok?

5:25 pm
Hello?

5:56 pm
Ashton??????

6:18 pm
Im sorry

6:34 pm
Really sorry

6:39 pm
I should have stopped him, I know I shouldve but I didnt. I'm sorry.

6:53 pm
I really need to know if ur ok.

7:03 pm
ASHTON PLEASE

To Lucas:
7:05 pm
I'm fine.

To Ashton:
7:06 pm
Oh thank god. I was so worried.

7:14 pm
Ashton PLS don't ignore me again. I said I'm sorry.

7:20 pm
I mean it. I am so damn sorry.

7: 21 pm
Ashton please.

7:22 pm
Ashton dear god please I'm sorry

To Lucas:
7:24 pm
Leave me alone.

To Ashton:
7:24 pm
I'm sorry.

***
Hey guys! New update, you like?

Anyways how's it going? Got anything to tell me? cause I wanna know about it all.

Please talk to me because I love you.

Damn I sound needy.

Anyways, keep fighting babes. Stay Lovely. XXX