Chapter 60: The latest fashion from Kreamore

Начните с самого начала

Percival smiled, thinking about how many people Lady Delton had touched, how many lives she had saved. She was truly a saint. A gift from the gods.

Percival opened his newspaper and instantly spat out his hot chocolate as he read the headlines.

"Heavens above..." came out his shaky shell shocked words.

"Whatever is the matter?!" Henrietta asked completely shocked that the man had just spat out his drink halfway across the cafe. She had never seen Percival break form like this.

"L-Lady Delton... a chosen child." Percival managed to say in between his stutters.

Henrietta's eyes bulged out of her skull and fell to her knees as the words sunk in. All this time she had thought all of it had been too good to be true. In a single day, her and her little son had been taken off the streets, given a beautiful home, fed delicious food as well as a respectable job to earn a living. All in a day. Many days Henrietta woke up in her warm bed and wondered how any of this was possible. How could one second rank noble be so kind and generous...? Now she knew the answer. Lady Delton wasn't just a noble... no, she was a gift from the gods. He kindness and generosity was the will of the gods.

Tears slipped down from Henrietta's face, pure joyful tears. This news was like peace to her, news that finally set her anxious mind and shaking heart to peace. Lady Delton, her savior, was a holy person, of course.

Percival was just as happy as Henrietta but for a different reason. He thought of how well people had begun to treat him since he had managed to strike a deal with Lady Delton and let them exclusively distribute her products. When people found out that Lady Delton was a chosen child and that Percival was a business associate of hers, his status would reach a new even greater level. He might even be promoted to a noble. Percival sighed contently. He knew it was wrong to think of his status at a time like this. He should've been more focused on thanking the gods for sending her than grinning over his own good fortune. But he couldn't help it, after years of being looked down upon, he was finally rising up from the bottom, all thanks to the mysterious and generous Lady Delton.

"I'm eternally grateful." He whispered under his breath as he thought of Lady Delton.

Meanwhile those two were rejoicing, Briony had walked out of the kitchen to see what the ruckus was about. She had walked behind Percival to see what the newspaper said, only to be so shocked that she instantly fell to her knees and touched her head on the floor.

"GODS PLEASE FORGIVE ME!!" She screamed out.

Percival and Henrietta were completely shaken by Briony's sudden yelling. They turned to her and tried to get her off the floor but she simply refused to move.

"No!" She cried out. "I must bow here and ask the gods for forgiveness!" She yelled while she sobbing.

"What on Arteria for?" Henrietta asked confused. Trying to console Briony.

"You don't understand!" Briony cried.

"When my mom and I first sold this shop to Lady Delton, we tricked her. The price I told her was much higher than what it was actually worth! Of course Lady Delton didn't fall for it, but still! I tried to trick a chosen child!" Briony began to sob violently.

"The gods will surely punish me!" She wailed.

Henrietta and Percival tried to soothe her by telling her the gods had probably forgiven her by now if nothing bad had happened to her yet, but deep down they were a little anxious being around Briony since the gods might smite her at any moment... they didn't want any of that smiting directed at them.