Today

Song: Today by Smashing Pumpkins

February 25, 1994

"Boo!" Eddie grabs the back of his boyfriend's hips.

Richie quickly looks around, drinks in hand. "You shouldn't be back here." He whispers anxiously.

Eddie rolls his eyes dramatically. "Did you forget that the owner loves me?"

Richie had quit his grocery store job awhile back and started waiting tables at Wallflowers. The tips are surprisingly good. Plus, he actually loves it. His coworkers are hilarious and no one minds that he has a boyfriend.

And he needed a job. Bad. Depending on Eddie and his uncle for rides to school, work, etc. is just not fun for the teen. He feels restricted. Plus, he'll need to move out eventually, but he can't do that with only six thousand in his bank account. If it's even that anymore.

"You're cute." Richie kisses his boyfriend's nose before exiting the kitchen door. He's back in no time, though, and with a stack of plates. "I have to finish cleaning this table and then I can clock out. Sound good?"

Richie kisses him before grabbing a rag and heading out once more. Eddie smiles lovingly. "Sounds perfect."

Soon Richie's clocked out and in the passenger's seat of Eddie's car. It still cracks him up when he sees how close Eddie sits to the wheel. He knows better than to make any smart comments, though.

"I'm wracking up quite a bit on the tips."

Eddie glances over at Richie with a smile. "Really? That's good. You've only been working there for a month as well. At least you get the night shifts since you're still in school. It's when they're most busy."

Richie nods, counting up his tips now. "Speaking of, I made one fifty. And some change."

Eddie whoops. "If you keep going at that rate you'll get a new car in no time. Of course I don't mind driving you around, but I know what it must feel like."

"It's weird. I've been driving for two years so I don't know. I had just gotten so used to it. You know?"

"Yeah I know." Eddie takes ahold of Richie's hand. "I should really get a job. I know I'm set up on my dad's trust fund, but still. New York is expensive. That's even if I make it."

"Not if. When. When you make it. Because you will."

Eddie smiles, though he doesn't take his eyes off of the road. "Thanks."

Richie leans over to kiss his boyfriend's cheek. "I'm so proud of you, Eds. So proud."

Finally they arrive to the Kaspbrak household. Sonia's car isn't in the driveway, which stirs curiosity. Neither brings it up, though, and instead carry on.

"I'm gonna take a shower. I smell like grease and burgers. Can you grab my extras?" Richie is already unbuttoning his shirt.

Eddie gives him a quick kiss. "Can't argue with you there. And of course."

"I'll only be a few minutes." Richie closes the door.

Eddie immediately starts the washer. He knows Richie has a couple more uniforms, but he still wants to help. Afterwards he travels to his room and retrieves a few of Richie's items. Nothing too special, just some sweatpants and a tee shirt. He started bringing them when they started sneaking around. Now they don't even have to sneak around. Eddie thinks his mom just assumes they'll be together for awhile, if not forever.