Twister, Drinks, and Sleepovers

Song: Where Is My Mind? by the Pixies

September 13, 1993

It's Saturday night and Eddie has no idea what to wear. Beverly Marsh is dressed and ready, of course. He's envy of her. She's always been so good at fashion. Thankfully, she's his best friend.

Eddie stands outside of his closet door while Beverly tears through it. She's clicking her tongue, tossing shirts left and right. Finally Eddie cuts in, making a decision for her. He holds out a baby blue polo, which makes her snort. Eddie looks offended, but she's quick to clear up any miscommunication.

"Eddie, dear, you're trying to reel him in. Not send him away. You'll look like you're going to a wedding or something. You want something to impress him. A conversation starter."

"He likes music." Eddie moves aside, letting Beverly back in her rightful place.

"Aha! Okay. Here are your picks." She holds out several tee shirts. There's a David Bowie one, The Smiths, The Beatles, A Journey one, and finally a Woodstock one that Eddie had thrifted. It's one of his personal favorites.

"God I wish I could've been alive for Woodstock. It's only the greatest music festival ever. I'll never live through something so great again."

Beverly shoves the shirt in his face. "You've only told me about a million times."

After the shirt is up and over his head he lifts his arms. "Do I smell okay?"

Beverly leans her nose in. "Like flowers."

Eddie smiles and gives a satisfied nod. He takes a pair of jeans that are folded neatly on his dresser. Beverly makes a judgmental face. "No. Absolutely not."

"What? They're my favorite pair."

"Oh my god. You want to show him your ass. Your legs are a gift from god, Eddie. From god!" Beverly is shouting now, rummaging through his dresser drawers for the perfect pair of shorts. "Plus you'll get all swampy which is never good."

Eventually she throws a pair of purplish, brownish shorts that match perfectly with the shirt. She marches triumphantly. Her smile says it all. She's a fashion genius. Eddie's happy to be her guinea pig if it puts a smile on her face, which it always does. It is her dream, after all.

"You really do have a pair of shorts to match anything, huh?" She's still looking through them. It's true. He has multiple shades of every color in the rainbow. They take up two and a half drawers.

"Like you said, I gotta show off these legs." Eddie strikes a pose.

Beverly rolls her eyes. "Such a dork."

"And you're not? Please. I remember your 'Jump Around' dance moves, dude."

She hits him playfully and searches for a pair of shoes. "Brat. I don't know why I love you."

Eddie falls back on his bed, thinking of all the ways tonight could possibly go. What if Richie doesn't even like him as a friend. Worse, what if he's gay, but just doesn't like Eddie? Does alcohol make him uncomfortable? He's not sure he knows the boy at all.