The Twilight Saga: New Moon (Edward's POV)

Introduction

My name is Edward Cullen and I am a vampire. Carlisle took care of me when I was a human, after my mother died of a disease. When I was seventeen, he turned me into a vampire. When I started out with the blood of animals, I sometimes cheated, killing humans with the minds of rotten things; rape, murder, robbery, and etc. But now I am a full "vegetarian" vampire. I was already a vampire when Carlisle changed Rosalie. Then, when she begged him to, Emmett. She wanted me in the beginning and I declined. But soon, she found Emmett. Then came Alice and Jasper.

My feelings of not wanting a mate changed when I met Bella Swan. Now she's my girlfriend, and I intend on keeping her human. This is my life.

Ch. 1: Party

It's a beautiful day, as I wait for Bella to arrive at school, Alice at my side.

Once she's out of her truck and in front of me, Alice skips forward to meet her, a small silver-wrapped square box in her hands.

"Happy birthday, Bella!" she says cheerfully.

"Shh!" Bella hisses, glancing around the lot; probably to make sure no one heard Alice.

She ignores her.

"Do you want to open your present now or later?"

"No presents."

"Okay...later, then. Did you like the scrapbook your mom sent you? And the camera from Charlie?"

Bella sighs.

"Yeah. They're great."

"I think it's a nice idea. You're only a senior once. Might as well document the experience."

"How many times have you been a senior?"

"That's different."

I hold out my hand and she eagerly takes mine. I give her fingers a gentle squeeze and she looks up at me. I hear her heart beat stutter a little and smile.

I lift my free hand and trace one fingertip around the outside of her lips as I speak.

"So, as discussed, I am not allowed to wish you a happy birthday, is that correct?"

"Yes. That's correct."

"Just checking." I run my hand through my tousled bronze hair. "You might have changed your mind. Most people seem to enjoy things like birthdays and gifts."

Alice laughs.

"Of course, you'll enjoy it. Everyone is supposed to be nice to you today and give you your way, Bella. What's the worst that could happen?"

"Getting older," she replies to my sister.

I tighten my smile, unhappy at what she's implying.

"Eighteen isn't very old. Don't women usually wait till they're twenty-five to get upset over birthdays?"

"It's older than Edward."

I sigh.

"Technically. Just by one little year, though," Alice responds, her tone tight. She then asks, "What time will you be at your house?"

"I didn't know I had plans to be there."

"Oh, be fair, Bella! You aren't going to ruin all our fun like that, are you?"