Chapter 22 | Mistaken

Start from the beginning

"Don't push it," she says with one last point.

"Miranda." Roman looks to her. "You had the dream with the boy, the baseball chants. The guy with the mask. Tell her."

"I had the dreams," Miranda says. "But that doesn't explain you killing people. And then you two fighting!" She says. Emma doesn't remember Peter and Roman fighting, but she swears Miranda sends her a glance.

"Kill or be killed," Peter says. "They've already killed. Des, you know that. I know you know I'm telling the truth."

"I'm not doubting your honesty," Destiny snickers. "I'm doubting your sanity! Going after these guys? You're going to get yourself killed!"

"We've been doing pretty good so far!" He replies.

"Are they really killing these kids?" Miranda asks.

"Six so far," Roman answers. "Seven, now eight, attempts."

"So far," Peter adds.

"Who are they? Why are we having the same dreams?"

"I don't know," Roman tells the half-lie. "I'm sorry we didn't tell you earlier."

"But," Peter follows. "We're getting these dreams for a reason."

"You're not going to give this up, are you?" Destiny asks, disappointed.

"We can't."

"Then you're an idiot. And so am I."

"You're going to help?" Peter perks up.

"I don't think I have any other choice," she grumbles. Peter races over to her to give her a tight hug that she does not return. When he lets go she keeps walking past him and to her room.

"What about her?" Miranda nods to the baby. "Are they after her?"

"Probably," Roman admits. "That's why you can't leave with her."

"I knew something was going to happen to her," Miranda says with a wavering voice. "She needs to be safe. She belongs with me."

"Okay," Roman says with a breath. He sounds too calm about the whole thing. He should be furious, and he is. Emma can see the strain on his face from holding back his anger. "The baby is safest in her room."

"I thought... We should give her a name," Miranda suggests.

"Yeah?" Peter asks.

"I was thinking Rosemary."

"Rosemary?" Emma breaks her silence with a disgusted face. "It's a baby, not an 80-year-old woman."

"Well," Miranda quips.

Don't say it, Emma thinks to herself. Don't you fucking say it.

"It is my grandmother's name." She fucking said it.

"We're not naming her after some strangers grandmother," she laughs back at her.

"I'm not some-"

"Roman," Emma interrupts her. "What would you like her name to be?" Roman looks confused and uncomfortable from her questions. "Nadia," she decides for him. "That's a nice, unique name."

"I think-" Miranda tries again.

"I like Nadia," Peter agrees in a desperate attempt to lighten the pressure. "Letha would like it. It's good, right Roman?"

"Hm?" He looks up. "Oh, yeah. It's good."

"Well, what are we going to do? What-" While Miranda rambles on about the dangers, Emma slips away and to Destiny's room.