Chapter 22 | Mistaken

where all things are made right

where there is salvation for allwhere there is unitywhere there is Trinitywhere there is real truthwhere there is divine virtue

.....

Roman exits his room and runs down the hall to the baby's room. He frantically unlocks it and looks around, needing to see it himself. Emma struggles to follow behind him, but he flies from room to room as if they might be hiding. "Where's Peter?" She calls out after him.

Roman doesn't answer, but heads to the stairs. Peter's passed out on the couch with his dirty clothes still on. He has a light sheen of sweat and dirt still glazed over him. Roman grabs at his ankle to wake him. "Hm?" He groans.

"Did you see Miranda leave?" Roman asks before Peter's eyes are even open. "Did you see Miranda?"

"Good morning to you too." His eyes peak open.

"The baby's gone, she's gone too. Did you see her?"

"What?" He sits up immediately. "What do you mean they're gone?"

"I mean they're not here," he says derisively.

"Where did they go?"

"That's what I'm asking you!"

"Shit, I don't know. Look at me." Peter motions to himself. "I don't even remember getting here."

"Fuck!" Roman yells then kicks at the coffee table.

"I'm sure they're fine," Emma says with some false positivity. "She probably took her to the park again."

Roman doesn't seem to hear her and rushes for his coat. Peter remains seated, still processing everything that has been said. Before she can ask him what his plan is, he's out the door. Emma rushes after him, struggling to find her pair of shoes.

A familiar voice outside of the door catches her ear, but Peter's phone rings over it.

"You dumb fucks, better get the fuck over here, right fucking now."

.....

Emma lingers by the wall at Destiny's apartment. She crosses her arms and looks around uncomfortably. Roman is doing his best to explain everything to Miranda. It's a lot, she knows that first hand. But something that had seemed sacred between the three of them was destroyed. Everybody's cards were on the table now.

Miranda grips the baby closer and closer as more revelations occur. Tighter, and tighter, and tighter. "So, you eat blood?" Emma rolls her eyes.

"Not eat," Roman defends himself a bit. "It's more of a feeding."

"And you maul people to death?" She looks to Peter.

"No, I don't actually," Peter answers condescendingly. "I was defending myself. And what neither of you know is that Roman hates the way he is. He's getting treatments..."

He trails off. In the silence, a whimper from the baby echoes in all of their ears. Roman, seemingly having some instincts, reaches forward. Destiny steps closer with her knife pointed out to him. "You stay away from that baby!" Roman puts his hands up.

"Excuse me?" He asks, astonished.

"You killed to people," Destiny says. "Why?"

"They were from the dreams," Peter explains.

"I knew it!" Destiny waves the knife around.

"Will you put down the knife?" Peter asks. "You're not going to stab us."