Chapter 19 | Beginning's End

Closing time
Open all the doors and let you out into the world
Closing time
Turn all of the lights on over every boy and every girl
Closing time
One last call for alcohol, so finish your whiskey or beer
Closing time
You don't have to go home, but you can't stay here

Emma hears it first. She falls in and out of sleep unable to tell whether it's in her dreams or not.

I know who I want to take me home.

It gets louder and louder and louder until there's a loud knock on the door. She thinks it might just be the wind, and turns trying to fall back asleep. The urgency of the knocking argues with the warmth of her comforter for her attention. The knocking eventually wins.

I know who I want to take me home

With a quick shiver, she slowly makes her way downstairs. It's loud and off-key. She doesn't even bother with the porch light. Opening the door, she can't even act surprised. "What?" She asks and follows with a yawn.

"Let us in," Peter says. "It's cold."

"It's late," she counters.

"Please?" He asks. She stands aside as they both stumble in and land on the couch. Emma stands with her arms crossed and watches as the two boys slump together.

"Did you guys need something?"

"Water?" Roman says like a question.

"I meant something from me. I'm not a waitress."

"Okay, I'll get it," he says and pushes himself up. He wobbles and falls back. "In a minute. I'll get it in a minute."

"I'll get you some blankets," she says.

"We're not staying," Peter responds quickly.

"You can't leave. I'm surprised you made it here in one piece."

"I drive better drunk than sober," Roman reminds them. With a heavy groan, he finally forces himself up and stumbles to the kitchen.

Peter has already found the television remote and is flipping through the channels. At this time of night, it's mostly home shopping and old TV show reruns. His eyes blink, heavy, and he struggles to stay awake.

Hearing a rattling in the kitchen, Emma goes to investigate. Roman stands leaning back against the counter with only the oven hood's giving off a dim light. He has an expired pack of hamburger meat in one hand and eating it with the other. He's so invested that he barely hears her.

"You need to sleep," she says entering the kitchen.

"I'm hungry," he says without stopping. She moves past him to get a glass from the cabinet. She fills it in the sink. "Thank you."

"It's not for you," she snips. "It's for Peter. You know where the glasses are." Emma moves past him and to the living room.

Peter has taken his shoes off and curled into the corner. She puts the glass down on the side table. She goes upstairs to find and an extra blanket for him, and when she comes back Roman has joined him. The couch is fairly small and they're both tall. It's quite silly looking.

The sky is turning lilac when her eyelids finally start to feel heavy. It's ruined in a moment's notice. The door creaks open and is shut slowly. She cracks her eyes open, ready to tell Roman to fuck off, but is relieved to see Peter.

"What're you doing?" She asks.

"Roman keeps getting really close to me," he says, sounding a bit sobered up. "His body heat is absurdly high."