1. Annabeth Loses Her Faith in the Gods

Start from the beginning

She skipped a few chapters. The opening chapters existed to convince the reader that a ruler only needed the illusion of power, not actual powers. Annabeth already half-believed that, so she skipped those. Annabeth started on Chapter 7. The text-to-speech plugin on the digitized version of the book read out loud to her:

__

We, as the children of the gods, have a responsibility to our mortal counterparts. We must intentionally stop believing in the gods. Power comes from the belief in power, especially for divine rulers. When we stop believing in the gods, their power fades.

We have been taught that without gods, we are nothing. We have been taught that a world without gods will turn to chaos. That before the gods, there was only chaos. Who taught us this? The gods did.

Believers will see this as evidence of the gods' power. I see it as a narrative created by those who are powerful to make themselves seem more powerful than they are.

When I speak to children of Atlas and Prometheus, I hear a very different story. A story that there was peace before the gods' reign. In fact, I hear that the Titans told the gods the same story: obey us or there will be chaos. When the gods overthrew their immortal fathers, was there chaos? No. The world moved on.

Their threats are part of the Cosmic Lie. Plato called the lies of human civilization the "Noble Lie" because lies held society together, but there is nothing noble in a society held together by lies and liars.

Society should be held together by fact and truth, run by those who seek truths, not by those who knowingly perpetuate lies to keep themselves in power.

I do not believe that we need to violently overthrow the gods. We need only to stop thinking about them.

The Cosmic Truth is this: without us, the gods are nothing.

When we stop believing in gods and their centers of power fade, their desires will cease to have meaning. The mortals that they have so violently oppressed and killed will no longer be at the mercy of the whims of mercurial gods. I urge all descendants of the gods to revoke their belief in the gods and put their faith in a system of truth-seeking. One where truth reigns and the search for knowledge is rewarded, not punished. One where we can free ourselves from the double binds that the gods put us in. One where we can chart our own destinies.

I urge you, demigod, to choose a future where humanity is free from the shackles of a religion. To our hands will fate return. No longer will Atropos, Lachesis, and Clotho design our destinies. The gods' righteous indignation at our search for knowledge does not require the possession of truth. They have tried to silence subversive thinkers since the beginning of time.

Without us, they are nothing. Without them, we can be free.

___

Annabeth stared at the page in horror. She thought she agreed with the writer. Well, she agreed with the premise, but not with the call to action to forget the gods existed. It was too late for that because of Camp Half-Blood and Camp Jupiter, which both served to reify the gods' existence in demigod and monster minds. If the gods were to be overthrown, much more drastic measures would have to be taken.

Annabeth was afraid because of what the gods might do when they found out she'd read this passage.

She checked the preface. There had been a co-author. Alexandria Sapienti.

Sapienti had never been able to see the distribution of the book to the public. Instead, she had been found deceased in her home in Paris under suspicious circumstances. The police at the time had dismissed it as hysteria. Hysteria, the preface noted, is no longer considered a medical condition and its use in dismissing the death of a prominent female academic is unfortunate.

Annabeth had been toying with an idea for a year now. It was an idea so terrible that she had never dared to tell anyone what it was. The idea that she could be killed for even daring to think of overthrowing the gods spurred her to action.

Annabeth had learned to be more in touch with her emotions, as emotional intelligence was an important part of wisdom. She could feel that the time was now to overthrow the gods. They were scattered and divided, but more importantly, so were the gods' enemies: Titans and giants. If Annabeth was successful in overthrowing the gods, then the only ones left to fill the power vacuum were demigods.

"Clotho, Lachesis, Atropos," she whispered. The words barely escaped her lips and she experienced momentary panic when she realized she had been heard. What if she wasn't really ready?

She looked up. In front of her were three old crones. They had not been there a moment before. The Fates' aura of power made her stomach turn to mush. Annabeth averted her gaze. Even in their less powerful forms, looking directly at them would cause her life to flash before her eyes-and it was already too late. She had accidentally looked at them, so she saw her life in abstracted terms: many hearts becoming one, valor, a kiss in the dark.

"We are here to thank you," said the oldest Fate, Atropos. "For services rendered."

"You're welcome," said Annabeth reflexively. She wondered if the Fates knew what she was reading. Last year, she had been responsible for the downfall of Thoon, the Bane of the Fates. They had promised her a favor in return for defeating their enemy.

"We made a promise," said the middle Fate, Lachesis.

"We are here to answer your summons," said the youngest, Clotho.

"We will grant your wish, as long as it is within our power," agreed Atropos.

"Are there things that aren't in your power?" Annabeth asked. "You're Fate."

"We are limited in some ways," said Lachesis. "How so, we do not wish to say."

Annabeth said, "Is it because of the other gods?"

"Perhaps," said Clotho.

"Perhaps not," said Atropos.

"What is your favor?" asked Lachesis. "Eternal life? Eternal youth?"

"No, I want something much bigger." Annabeth told the Fates her wish.

They looked to one another.

"That is difficult," said Clotho.

"Any other time, we would say no," said Lachesis.

"But you are our savior. So it is done," said Atropos. "We will grant your wish."

"Swear on the River Styx," said Annabeth. "Please."

"We swear on the River Styx," said the Fates as one. Thunder rumbled outside.

"Wait," Annabeth said. "You didn't tell me how you'd grant my wish. In what way, exactly, will my wish come to pass if-"

The three old crones vanished, leaving Annabeth alone with her books.

~~~

A/N: Please vote if you enjoyed! Thank you for your support.