7 ✖ Apophenia

Song of the chapter: Alpha - Little Destroyer

I had barely gotten any rest in, the conscious lingering of the fact that the Traveller was awake in the same room for the entirety of the night – and morning – was enough to keep a part of my brain always on high alert. It was around ten when I finally decided to pull myself from the sheets, the Traveller's eyes immediately darting from the phone to me. They had literally done nothing for seven hours except browse the internet.

Well, that wasn't an uncommon thing to do but at least people would get up if they needed to eat or use the bathroom. The Traveller had literally not even moved his body's position, still in the exact same stiff posture as they did hours ago. It was weird, seeing how they didn't grow uncomfortable in a single position. Their body didn't start to ache as mine most definitely would've.

"Your sleep was not adequate," they noted, eyes analysing my form as I sat up on the bed. I was still fatigued and had strained eyes, regarding them lazily.

"Huh?"

"I began to research your species and patterns. Observing you through your resting, I have determined that you cannot remain still. Are you always ailed with bad rest?" it was curious how interested they had suddenly become, as if they had found their next research topic. Their new pet project.

"Uh, yeah. It's just always been a part of me," I swung myself out of bed, standing to stretch out my tense limbs.

"Huh. I do hope that it will not hinder your ability to use the vehicle," they commented.

"Did you collect the data you needed?"

"Indeed," they frowned to themself, rather unsatisfied at the answer they had come to. The conclusion was nothing short a hassle and they would have to put much more effort into their survival. Their people by now must have a vague idea of where he ended up and were approaching. "I have determined the quickest way off of this planet,"

"If you're so intent on getting off Earth, then why did you come here in the first place?" I asked, starting to pull on my clothes. They snarled at the question.

"I did not have much of a choice in the matter," they answered. I stopped at this, considering the first time I met them at the crash site.

"How did you fall to Earth anyway? Was that ship of yours what you used to travel space around with, or did it come from like a mothership? How will your species attack us?" they placed the phone onto the dining table, standing up to their towering length as they rolled their shoulders back. Maybe they did grow stiff during the night.

"You ask too many questions,"

"But considering the world's going to be destroyed, would it really hurt to tell me?" they seemed to consider this while I headed to make myself some coffee from the set-up in the room. They hummed curiously at this.

"Interesting that you are correct," they noted, thinking to themselves for a bit as I continued the preparation of my morning brew. "The ship I was on was borrowed from the Avian Project. It is not meant for far travel and had been damaged when it set off already, the autopilot set onto its last destination. That was Earth,"

"Avian Project? Isn't that birds? Is that why you had those doves with you?" I stirred the black coffee, sipping it to taste. I cringed and proceeded to dump two extra spoons full of coffee into the cup.

"Not all planets with life have an animal kingdom that adapted to occupy the sky,"

"What, seriously? Birds are rare?"