NINE

Monique's POV

I sat down on the chair in the balcony to start reading The Found and The Lost but by the time I flipped the book open, there was nothing. All the pages were blank and there was not a single word.

There were two sentences in the second page.

To the opposites, both good but one appears evil. May you cross paths.

I raised a brow at the book. "Is it still an on-going story? That's strange. It should be in the Story Council and that's like in.. Charming Kingdom. That's so far away," I sighed, staring at the book.

"Should I give this to the council? Maybe even if I did, Father and Mother would never allow me, especially just because of a book." I clicked my tongue and slid it on a space in my shelf.

I opened the door and when I did, Mark was there, Jisung behind him. I immediately pulled them inside. "Why didn't you tell me you two were going here? You could've been caught!" Mark just shrugged.

"I'm the Head Knight, what can they do?" I folded my arms as he dropped himself on the floor. "At least be careful. Any of my parents--or the both of them--might see you." I said.

"Well, they didn't see us, so stop worrying," He sighed. "The celebration is coming up. I expect you to be careful on your way to Simon's.. and can survive the woods for a night and half a day."

I just nodded and took the navy blue book from the shelf. I went to Mark and dropped it on his lap. "What's this?" He asked. I was gonna answer 'a book' but he opened it already, also reading the two sentences.

"Isn't this supposed to be in the Story Council? The Fairy Godmother writes the stories, doesn't she? Why is this here?" Jisung heard our talk and sat on a chair across Mark.

"I know. I was watching the guard knights chase a criminal when that appeared on my hand. I was holding Aladdin and then that's that." I said, motioning at the book.

Jisung took it from Mark and opened it. "There are no words." He exclaimed, closing the book again. He gave me the book. "Do you think we should give it to the Story Council? So the Fairy Godmother can track the characters of this story?"

"It would take us three days to arrive at. Charming Kingdom. That's six days if you go back and almost a week. I told you, the Royal Knights celebration is coming and the planning of your and Alvertos' marriage is almost done."

I hugged the book. "You're right. I'll bring this--" Mark glared at me. "Nothing but yourself." I nodded and walked back inside to place the book back, but it suddenly fell out of my hands.

It dropped on the floor, right in front of the three of us, and flipped to the third page. Words suddenly formed without a pen.

CHAPTER 1

An Austere Life

That was just what is written. I kneeled and touched the page if the words were carved and not written, but it was just another blank space, like the rest of the pages.

I slammed the book shut and slid it on my shelf. "I don't get it." I mumbled to myself. I felt a tug behind me and when I looked back, Mark was behind me, grabbing the zipper on my dress.

"It's open." He said zipped it back up. I smiled. "Thank you."

I stopped moving when I heard footsteps outside the door. I turned to Mark. "You and Jisung, go. I hear someone." He nodded and ran to the balcony. He took Jisung by the hand and they both jumped off.

The door opened and I was shocked to see Alvertos. "What are you doing here?" I snapped. He smirked and waved his hand. "Tsk, tsk. Calm down, princess. I won't hurt you," He walked towards me and I took a step back.

"Say what you want to say and don't touch me." His smirk got wider but he talked anyway. "I just want to say that your parents invited me for the Royal Knights celebration and I told them if you can come with me."

I looked away from him. "I don't want to. Besides, they told me to stay put." He chuckled. "When were you not a rule breaker, princess?" I glared at him. "Now."

He shrugged. "Okay, fine. If you don't want to go, and because they told you so, I know you won't," He cocked his head. "And you sound utterly suspicious."

"You're always so paranoid, Alvertos. I've gotten used to it more than you did. And to be precise, you don't own me. Now, leave my room. You wasted your time, effort and saliva."

He gave me another annoying smirk and he left my bed room. I went to the balcony and Mark suddenly popped out from the other side. I jumped back, putting a hand over my chest. "Good heavens, Mark."

"Don't let him see through you. Anyone. Jisung told me Rosella knows and I trust her, but only her. It's between the four of us." I nodded. "You can trust me, Mark." He smiled, pulling a hand away from the rail. "I know." He replied before letting go.

I watched as he fell on the garden. Jisung was there, waiting for him. He landed on his feet and the both of them waved goodbye at me. They walked away and I sat on the chair Jisung was sitting earlier.

I cupped my cheeks and there was not his to think about. Panic would rush over me if I think about my escape, so I let my mind think whatever it wants to.

Mark.

Wait, what?

I was staring hard at the horizon as my mind--surprisingly uncontrollable--fumbled with words about Mark. I mean, what's with Mark?

I know he's my swordsmanship teacher, our kingdom's Head Knight, a strong fighter and a trustworthy man. Sometines fun to be with, sometimes a kill joy. There's nothing really special about him.

I let my mind drift to our short fights back then. I lost almost every time against him but when I mastered the art of sword fighting, I was able to beat him here and there. I smiled when I remembered his reaction when I defeated him.

My heart suddenly pounded on my chest. Flashes of him orbited my brain.

His wet hair, his sculpted cheek bones, his soft smile, his hot glare, the way he moves..

I slapped myself hard. Very hard. "What the hell are you thinking, Monique? He's just your teacher. You can find your 'the one' in the woods. It's not him," I said. "He won't last long 'cause you'll leave him."

•••