TWENTY FIVE

Monique's POV

I locked myself in my room after Haechan and I's brief fight. I got a bit annoyed at the part he's already in my fairytale (if it already started). I didn't want him anywhere in my book, but I was ever grateful for him for helping me.

I scrunched my nose, my eyes glued to the wall. "I won't apologize first. He brought it up. Hmph, boys." I clicked my tongue and sat on my bed.

Mine wasn't as fancy as Haechan's or as big as the one back in the castle, but it was comfortable to sleep at (and he put a mattress on it, finally).

My throat was getting dry so I went to the kitchen to quench my thirst. I heard barks and laughter outside the house. I looked outside the window and saw Haechan throwing a frisbee while Elyas would fetch it.

I took a glass and poured water into it from a pitcher beside the sink. I gulped the liquid down and took a deep breath. I was dying of boredom inside so I went out. I sat on the porch while watching Haechan and his dog.

Elyas returned the frisbee to Haechan. The latter smiled and stroked the dog's head, smiling and telling him how good he was. Haechan glanced at me and he just gave a small smile.

I gave him the same tight smile while he and Elyas continued on their fun little game.

My mind wandered off while I looked at them play. Why does Haechan always have a point? He has a point about I can still do something with my stupid life.. that I have a purpose. I just don't see it yet.

Where was it, then? Am I still on the way to that purpose? If I do find it, what would become of me? Would I be like Haechan or another rag doll? There's so many questions inside my head.

"You know, usually," Haechan started. I looked at him. "People who have purposes already has their fairytale started." He smiled and strongly threw the frisbee away.

I tried not to look surprised, but I really was. If I have a purpose, then my fairytale has started. I groaned. Why is he always right? And obviously, he's in my fairytale, considering the Fairy Godmother is already writing it at this moment.

"Other characters can also appear in someone's fairytale?" I asked Haechan as he walked to the porch to pause. He sat beside me and nodded. "Yes, but it's rare. Glad I got to meet someone with that story."

I frowned at his smile. "Why do you keep on smiling?" I asked before I can stop myself. "Is there a reason to smile?" I let out another question since I've already done it.

"When I came to Earth as a Lost Boy, a literal one, I met Goldilocks and the bears by accident when I wandered off to Snow. Baby Bear always told me that I look like I always wanted to start a fight.

"One day, I don't know the reason why, but I smiled and Goldilocks complimented me for it, saying I should smile more because I look good with it," He glanced at me. "I asked the same thing, Monique. Even Goldie did. There is a reason to smile. Today might be bad, or tomorrow will, but in every storm, there's a rainbow around the corner."

We stayed silent for minutes. Again, he has a point. He's too smart. "Does that mean I still have a chance? I mean, to change my life and find my purpose?"

"Yes. There's many things you can do. You can help the sisters have Bible Study with the children, serve in Pinocchio's.. things to do are uncountable. You can even start a career as yourself."

I shrugged. "What? Be a rag doll?" He just gave me a look. "It's not that. What you truly feel. You are honestly being so sarcastic. Maybe that's why you can't find your purpose yet; you refuse to believe in yourself." He said.

I glared at him. "You're mean sometimes." He laughed. "Didn't I tell you I was half Good and half Evil?" I raised a brow. "Why are you half Evil?" I asked.

"Do you want to know?" I held my tongue back because of the question, but I nodded. He looked away from me and sighed. "I got into a fight with King Phillip and I.. accidentally stabbed him." I covered my mouth in shock.

"Are you serious right now? Why did you stab him?" He raised a palm, signing me to stop asking more questions. "As an adolescent, I was paranoid about bad guys. Yeah, I just started my training at that time. I found King Phillip in the forest alone and I'm not a Reader, so I thought he was some bad guy.

"Merlin told me bad guys pretend to be good by talking sweetly at you. That's what King Phillip did to me, and I.. fought him." I hugged my knees. "It's not your fault. You were young."

He nodded. "I know, but it was Evil, and here I am." He immediately smiled when Elyas ran and jumped on him. He laughed while I just looked at him. "Is it like a curse or something? Being Evil?"

He looked strangely at me. "Of course it's not. It just means you decided to be Evil rather than being Good, but King Phillip accepted my apology and believed I have a good heart, though my heart is stained with Evil. I don't really put much thought to it now."

"You didn't know that he was Good."

He sighed and ran his hand through his hair. "You don't know how things work outside kingdom gates, don't you?" I stayed silent. Again, he's right.. for the nth time.

"You have to know who is Good and who is Evil. There are no exceptions." He added and I silently nodded. "You're right. I don't know anything about the outside world." I stood up and Haechan suddenly took my hands.

"I didn't mean to offend you." He looked worried and sorry. I smiled. "I wasn't offended. It was the truth after all. I should have been much more grateful than being bossy to you. You put me right back on my feet. Without you, I would be a total goner."

He massaged my knuckle with his thumb and smiled back. "Oh, come here." I was totally taken aback when he pulled me towards him and wrapped his arms around. "What are you doing?"

"Hugging you," I have read that word in some books, but I have never done it myself with other people. "Haven't you been hugged before?" Haechan asked, his voice directly going through my ear.

"No.." I sheepishly said. I heard him chuckle. "Then this is a hug. Sincerely for you." He wrapped his arms tighter on my shoulders and it felt.. comforting, warm even.

I pulled away and looked down when I felt Elyas' head between Haechan and I's torsos. Haechan laughed and rubbed the dog's face. "You want to be hugged, too? Huh?" Elyas barked in response.

They look so happy. I wish I can be like them, too.

Haechan took a look at me. "Stop being a kill joy now, alright?" I nodded and my eyes stung with tears. Haechan let go of Elyas and threw his attention back at me. "Why are you crying?" His voice was soft.

I sniffed and wiped the tears away. "I don't know but.." He was patient. I can see why Goldilocks likes him a lot. "You brought me back my hope and honestly.." He put a hand on my shoulder. "I don't really want to die."

"I've been knew." He said. He stood up and pulled me with him. His smile turned to a grin and he looked brighter. "What's up with you?" I gave him a look. He remained his posture.

"Starting today, I'm going to help you live and not exist."

•••