“Of course,” he agreed and headed for the stairs. “I’ll be right down.”

“Thank you,” Desirée said and watched as Zach carefully maneuvered himself and the soon-to-be five-year-old cradled in his arms up the winding stairs.

Her heart ached. It should be the girl’s father carrying her up the stairs after a fun-filled day, not her uncle. But what could they do about it? Jack didn’t want any part of his daughter’s life, and at least Juliette had her Uncle Zach to care for her.

Desirée wiped a stray tear away and headed back into the kitchen. She scooped up some of the beef stew and put it on a plate for Zach, then served herself. A few minutes later, she heard him coming down the stairs.

“Did Juliette have anything to eat tonight?” Desirée asked instinctively as Zach sat down at the table.

“Now, what kind of uncle would I be if I didn’t feed my favorite niece?” Zach raised his eyebrows. “I’m not a bad cook, you know.”

“I’m sorry, Zach, it’s just been a long day, is all,” Desirée sighed and sat down opposite him.

“So you think my brother is planning on disinheriting his only daughter?” Zach drawled as he took a bite of the heated dish. “That’s a new low.”

“Tell me about it,” Desirée sighed and picked at her food. “I don’t understand. He went to all this trouble to make us disappear and now he’s sending lawyers my way?”

“You could expose him, Rae,” Zach said pensively. “Tell the world what kind of a man he really is.”

Desirée shook her head. “I can’t. It’s not just me anymore. I have to think of what’s best for Juliette. I don’t want her to grow up knowing that her father… I can’t do that to her. And you know the press would be all over her. She’d never be able to have a normal life.”

“So what are you going to do?”

“I don’t know,” Desirée sighed. “I just know that this lawyer isn’t going to just walk away, and I can’t let him know Juliette exists.”

Zach leaned back in his seat, running a hand through his short, blond hair pensively. “You think that might be Jack’s game? To get you to break the non-disclosure contract?”

“I don’t know, Zach. Maybe. The settlement I received at the divorce was contingent on keeping Juliette and myself out of the public light. If he recalls it… I would have to sell the house and clear out Juliette’s trust fund to pay him back. The only other thing to sell would be the shares in Steele Enterprises, and I can only assume that’s what he’s after.”

“Well, if it comes to it, you can sell me the shares and I’ll make sure Juliette will never want for anything, and I’ll leave the shares to her in my will.”

“You’re sweet, Zach,” Desirée smiled and squeezed his hand over the table. “But you’re not exactly living large as it is, and I won’t let you cheat your own family out of an inheritance on account of me.”

“You are my family,” Zach said and covered her hand with his. “You and Juliette.”

“Thank you,” Desirée said, tears welling up. “I feel like I’m asking too much of you already, but… would you mind taking Juliette for a few more days? I have a feeling this lawyer person will be coming back, especially since I didn’t let him get very far.”

“Of course,” Zach said reassuringly. “I’ll come back in the morning and pick her up.”

“You can stay in the studio if you like,” Desirée said. “That way you can get going bright and early… I’m sorry, I’m a horrible mother, aren’t I?” she shook her head and covered her face with her hands.