Chapter Seventeen: Bravery and Pain

When Grace opened her eyes, she was in Oliver's room. Oliver was asleep in the chair next to the bed. He looked exhausted, with dark circles under his eyes and his hair was tousled like he was running his hands through it a lot.

Grace tried to climb out of bed to find Lacey but the minute she sat up she felt a sharp  pain coming from her stomach and then she remembered. The cave. The knife. She looked at her stomach and lifted her shirt. She saw a gauze covering her stomach. 

"Grace?" 

Grace turned to look at Oliver who was leaning forward in his chair. 

"How do you feel?" 

"Like I've been hit by a mac truck. Where's Lacey? What happened? How did I get here?"

"Grace, it's the middle of the night. Lacey's asleep. Do you remember the cave?"

"Yes I remember, Gloria and Jordan in the cave, then two wolves showed up and Gloria was whipping one of the wolves so I, Oh God."

Oliver stood in front of her, and grabbed her hands. 

Grace looked up at Oliver. "I killed her. I murdered Gloria."

Grace's voice was broken and small. 

"Grace, Grace look at me. You were protecting Liam. If you didn't do what you did, Liam would be dead. So would I." 

"Did you kill Jordan?" 

"No, he's down stairs in a cell. We have to escort him to his trial in three days. To the Society. He will receive his punishment from them." 

"Is this nightmare all over?" 

"Yes." 

Grace rested her head against his forehead. 

"Grace, please never run away from me like that again. I got your letter but you don't understand how much that hurt me. Taking away someone's mate is like taking away their soul. They still exist but they will never feel complete again. I would never wish that upon anyone."

"I'm sorry. I needed to save Lacey. I promise I will never run away from you again."

"I love you Grace." 

Grace soon fell back asleep on Oliver's chest. She woke up and the pain in her stomach was gone. She peeked under the bandage and saw nothing. She ripped the bandage off and investigated. There was nothing on her. It had miraculously disappeared. She shook Oliver awake, who was instantly on high alert. Grace showed him her stomach and was marvelling that it was gone. 

Oliver smiled and pulled Grace into his lap. 

"That's a perk of the mate bond. I healed you." 

"Here I was thinking that I was some medical marvel. "

"Sadly not, my love." Grace pulled his neck down and kissed Oliver. She deepened the kiss and Oliver pulled her down so Grace was straddling him. Grace ran her hands down Oliver's torso and back. Oliver had one hand in her hair and another cupping her arse. 

"Mummy!" Grace and Oliver sprung apart as Lacey ran into the room. 

"Mummy, why were you sitting on Oliver?"

Grace went bright red. 

Grace felt her stomach grumble so she enticed Lacey to come with her and find some food. She turned into the kitchen and ran straight into Liam. She felt a little guilty for stabbing him with a needle. 

"Liam, I wanted to apologise for the wolfsbane injection. I shouldn't of done it." 

Liam waved his hand.