TWENTY-NINE.

MAY, 2019. CONT.

"And that's a wrap on Monet!" Someone shouts across the room.

Applause follows, a group of producers and the rest of the cast surrounding me as they cheer. I stand in the middle, beaming full of gratitude. A few of them hug me and grab my shoulders to shake me up in excitement.

Blair is off to the side, grinning at me as I approach her. She immediately opens her arms to hug me tightly. We hop around a bit in relief and celebration.

This is the start of our careers.

"You did so good." She compliments, pinching my cheek.

"Knowing it was my last scene just gave me so much relief." I breathe out, my smile never going away.

Blair's does, though. As she looks past me.

I spin around to see River approaching us. He's holding a coffee and his car keys. The people around him practically fall to his feet at his arrival, knowing exactly who he is.

"Shithead." Blair mutters under her breath.

"Be nice." I softly warn her as I turn to him. I send him a smile, taking the coffee he hands me.

"Ready to go?" He asks, pecking my cheek.

"Yup. Just let me grab my bag." I inform him before stepping into my trailer.

Blair follows closely, leaving River to our cast mates. I lean over to pick up my bag and she watches, studying me.

"I don't get it." She speaks.

"Get what?" I face her quickly.

"How you're still with him. He's a piece of shit. He made you get—"

"Nothing!" I hiss, glancing at the trailer door that's wide open.

"The point is, I don't know why you let him stay around. It's clear he doesn't love you. At least not like Harry does."

"We don't speak that name around here." I growl. "Just accept that I'm happy."

"But you're not." She frowns.

I pause. I can't deny that. But I also cannot agree.

"River's good. He's my chance at stability." I shrug as I throw my bag over my shoulder. "I could have a future with him...."

"Because you can't have the one you really want." Blair whispers.

I place a hand on Blair's shoulder and look into her eyes.

"I'll text you." I murmur before hopping out of the trailer.

River greets me outside the door and takes my bag from me. I hold his hand as we make our way off set and to the car he has parked in the lot.

I get inside as he tosses the bag in the back. Tapping my fingers on my thighs, I wait for him to get into the car.

"So, how does it feel knowing you're officially going to be an actress?" He inquires as he pulls out of the lot.

I sheepishly shrug, blushing at the thought of being an actual actress. That people can notice. All on my own. Not because of someone I'm dating.

"Different. Like I'm really doing something. Something I love. With someone I love." I grin, running my fingers through his messy hair.

River intertwines our fingers together and holds my hand tightly. I lean into the seat with my eyes shut, enjoying the moment.

He doesn't brush his thumb over my knuckles, but that's okay.