year eight

They say that middle school brings some of the worst years of a person's life. They're the years that shape a person. It's the time where you make your mistakes, and when you finally start caring about something other than playing.

The girl has heard it all, and a part of her felt nervous as she steps into the new building. It was enormous compared to her elementary, and she didn't know how to feel without her parents by her side. 

Her hands tightly clutch a folded schedule, and she spins around, trying to figure out how to get to her first class. There were so many people rushing, and much too many unfamiliar faces. Occasionally she would catch a glimpse of someone from elementary, and she found some comfort when she realized they were just as scared as she was.

The sight of a red t-shirt flashes through the crowd and the girl quickly makes her way towards it, recognizing it someone who could help her. "Do you know how to get to this class?" she asks timidly. The other person doesn't seem to hear her, so the girl gathers up all her courage and taps them on the shoulder. 

"Oh, hey!" The other person spins around, his warm eyes catching on her. "Sorry. I didn't see you there. Is there something you need?"

She nods. "Do you know how to get to this class?"

The boy crouches down a little to read the small print. "Yeah! Actually, my classroom is right next to it. Do you want me to walk you there?"

The girl nods again, unsure of what to say.

"I'm Az," he says. "I'm only in seventh grade, so I can clearly remember how chaotic the first day here was. You just slowly get used to it. Besides, you have an amazing teacher. Even if her last name is the same as a fast-food chain."

"Ms. McDonald?"

"Yeah." Az grins, holding open the door for her before following after her. "You're going to do amazing here."

"Thanks." The girl gives him a small smile, feeling the butterflies inside her settle slightly. 

Az grins. "No problem. I got this pep talk when I first started. It did loads for me, so I'm hoping it helps you as well."

"It's helping," the girl says laughing. "I just hope I get some classes with my friends."

He glances at her schedule again. "Well, I have a class with you. What instrument do you play?"

"Violin. You?"

"Same." Az chuckles. "I was going to play the viola, but I heard that everyone just made fun of them. Honestly, I still wish I played viola, but I've been at this for four years and can't quit now."

The girl nods understandingly. "Well the longer you play, the more you have to lose."

"You are very much correct. Maybe I will switch," he says. Stopping in front of a door, he gestures towards it with a flourish. "And here is your class."

"Thank you."

"Of course." He waves as he steps away from her. "I'll be next door if you need me. I'll see you in orchestra."

She watches him disappear into his classroom before walking into hers. 

A moment later, she realized that she was no longer nervous. Only excitement remained.