year one

"Darling! Where are you?"

The girl stifles her giggle as she slinks back farther into her hiding space. The soft cloth surrounding her was cold to the touch, and she sighs in pleasure. Even being in the dark was such a relief from the blistering sun.

She hears footsteps coming closer. Her body freezes up instantly as she tries to make no sound. Without fully realizing it, she finds herself holding her breath.

The person outside lets out a small hum. "Where could my baby possibly be? Maybe under the bed? No. In this pot? Ah, too small."

The girl wants to jump out, growing anxious as she hears them check different spots. Maybe she could surprise them. She laughs as she imagines their shocked face before instantly clapping her hands over her mouth.

"Did you hear something?"

"No," the girl whispers.

The person outside shuffles closer. "Really? I thought I heard my baby."

"No," the girl says louder, drawing the word out. "This is someone else."

"Oh. Do you mind if I check?" The closet doors are thrown open and the girl shrieks before falling into the person's arms, her body shaking with laughter.

"Mommy, you weren't supposed to look," she complains and the woman laughs.

She feels her mother run a hand through her hair. "You want to try again?" her mum asks. "Or do you want me to hide?"

The girl thinks for a moment, her eyes crossing a little. "You!"

"Me?"

The child nods vigorously. "Yes, yes, yes. You!" She giggles again.

"Okay, darling." The woman presses a kiss onto the top of the girl's head. "Count to ten."

Slapping her hands over her eyes, she starts counting. "One. Two. Three. Four, five, six, seveneightnineten!" She bursts out of her room, eyes scanning her surroundings.

Across the hall was a small bathroom that she had never liked going into. She decided that her mum had probably hidden in there as the woman knew her aversion to the place.

Slowly creeping inside, she glances around cautiously. "Mommy?"

The bathroom gives her no answer.

The girl heaves in a breath before running to the shower and throwing open the curtain. A small sigh escapes her when she is met with nothing. She had been so certain her mother would be in there.

She leaves as quick as possible, her mind already scrambling for another option. The girl creeps to her mother's room. She grins when she sees a pair of feet peek out from behind a wall. "I found you!" she squeals.

Running forward, she throws her arms around her mother.

A small laugh escapes from the taller woman. "Yes, you did, my brilliant child."

The girl beams as she snuggles closer to her mum. "I love you, Mommy."

"I love you more."

Pouting, the child crosses her arms. "No, I love you most."

"I love you mostest," the woman sings teasingly.

"You can't."

"Why not?"

That stumps the girl for less than one second before she says, "Because I said so."

Her mother's soft laugh wraps around her. "I suppose you did, my princess."

The girl smiles proudly before she yawns.

"Sleepy, are you?" She feels herself being scooped up, and she found that she didn't have the energy to complain. "Off to bed with you."

She feels herself getting settled in her blankets and automatically reaches to wrap them closer around herself.

A hand runs across her cheek. "You are going to be a queen, my dear. But for now, stay as my princess, okay? Don't grow up too fast."

The girl blinks up at her mother, her vision already blurring. "Okay. I like being your princess."

The woman smiles before she brushes a kiss on the child's nose. The girl doesn't feel it. She is already asleep.