Chapter 8 (Welcome Back Conan)

Start from the beginning

"Kaito, was that Shinichi?" questions Mukuro, shocked at the sound that came from the office. In response, Kaito looks down, shadows covering his eye. Even the monocle doesn't glint.

"Let Ryohei in, he'll be able to use his sun flames to help." Suggests Yamamoto. The others all nod in agreement.

"I don't think that he'll be able to help. Shinichi will be alright, he's transformed before, to solve murder cases, or to see Ran. He'll pull through. Conan is a lot stronger than he looks." Answers Kaito.

"Hn? I thought we were talking about Shinichi. What does this Conan person have to do with it?" questions Ryohei, not having gotten the fact that they were the same person- the sun flame did work on his body instead of his brain after all.

Kaito sighs and looks up at Ryohei. "You're someone who gets things better if it is physically shown to them, rather than being verbally explained, aren't you?" Tsuna, Yamamoto and Gokudera behind Ryohei all nod. "Well you'll see soon enough. There is no way for anyone else to enter this room. Shinichi went in, Conan will come out. That's all there is to it."

"Umm. Kaito. How long will it be until Conan comes out? My intuition is saying that he's unconscious at the moment." Probes Tsuna, Kaito's mood making him even more nervous than usual.

"Judging from this morning, I'd say about an hour. You guys should go get something to eat, I'll stay here." Recommends Kaito, hand gripping the door handle again. He moves into a more comfortable position, and looks back up at the people infront of him.

"But Kaito." Starts Tsuna.

"All you herbivores are crowding, move before I bite you to death." Brandishing his tonfas, Hibari steps forwards threateningly, his voice a low growl.

Not wanting to be bitten, the guardians all move down the corridor. Some try to look back, but Hibari's tonfa soon blocks their vision. Herding the herbivores down the hallway, Hibari looks back in time to catch Kaito's smile, and a small mouthed Thank you before they all turn the corner of the hallway.

Kaito sits vigils there, outside the door, hoping for all the world that Shinichi is okay. He listens to the door, and once again can hear nothing but silence. Turning back to face the doorway, Kaito stares off into space, his hands unconsciously fiddling with a pack of cards.

"Oi, Kaito."

Kaito closes his eyes, and opens them in his room, to find the painting already turned to KID's portrait. Dragging his feet- he's not in the mood to talk to KID right now- he walks through the painting and keeps on walking, face turned to the floor. He is eventually stopped by KID's embrace.

"Kaito, how are you holding up? You were pretty shaken by Meitantei's scream earlier. I'm surprised that you didn't call upon me again." KID whispers caringly into Kaito's ear. One hand pats his head in support, whilst the other rubs Kaito's back soothingly.

"I heard his scream again, and it felt as if part of me had died. I was so worried about him. I nearly did break the door down again. But Shinichi locked the door. I respect him enough to follow that unspoken order and not interfere. I would be more of a bother than a help anyway. I'm sure that Shinichi doesn't want anyone to witness something so... personal. So I'll do what I can and protect the door, and what little privacy he can have here in this base. "

"I think that we should check on him, though. We don't know if he transformed okay. For all we know, something might not have shrunk right, and he needs medical treatment. Plus he's going to get cold, laying on the floor like that." Reasons KID

"Yeah, you are right, I suppose. It'll calm me down knowing he's alright too. I worry about him when he's not in my sight. He's always getting into trouble."Replies Kaito, laughing slightly into KID's shoulder.