MEMORIES

Three Weeks Later...

Julia was seated on the couch in the living room of her father's home while Jolene made them something to eat. She was paging through a family photo album when Jolene walked up to her with a plate of chicken mayo sandwiches and orange juice on a tray. Jolene placed the tray down on the coffee table and sat down next to Julia. Jolene looked at the pictures in the album and then at Julia. "You look just like your mother."

Julia smiled and admired the pictures. "Everybody tells me that."

"I wish I could make your father as happy as she did."

"Why are you saying that?"

"I don't know. I just have a hunch he's not happy." Jolene pondered for a while. "You know him better than I do."

"Maybe he's just under a little bit of stress. His work is demanding."

"Maybe."

"Why?"

Jolene shook her head. "It's nothing."

"No, tell me. Are you and my father having problems?"

"In a slight sense yes."

"Oh no..."

"You know officer Grace?"

"Yes. We used to be roommates on the ship before I got shot."

"Your father promoted her to XO."

"What?" Julia asked surprised. "My goodness I joined the navy as a junior Lieutenant and then got promoted to full Lieutenant and she goes from Petty Officer to XO?"

"There was a rumor going around your father kissed her and he later confirmed that it was true."

"They have something going on?"

"I don't know. I suspect they do."

"My father never cheated on my mother. Why would he do it now with you? From what I know he briefly had something going on with Sasha Cooper too after Tom Chandler left for Greece. But he never had anyone else before or after that."

"Maybe I'm just paranoid," Jolene replied and shook her head. "Can I ask you a favor?"

"Sure."

"If you can stay here for the afternoon. I have an ob-gyn appointment."

"Is something wrong?"

"No. It's just a check-up to make sure I am still healthy."

"Don't you normally see a GP for that?"

"I need you to look after Christine for me while I'm out. Connor can come over too and help if you want."

"Sure. I don't mind."

**********

Mike returned home before Jolene and stepped into the kitchen to get something to eat when he noticed Julia sitting in the living room watching TV while Christine was in her rocker fast asleep. "Where's Jolene?"

"She went for a doctor's appointment at her ob-gyn"

"Ob-gyn? Is she alright?" Mike asked concerned.

"I hope so."

"You want something to eat too?"

"No thanks dad, I'm good."

Just then Jolene stepped through the front door and walked over to the kitchen where Mike was busy making himself a peanut butter and jam sandwich. "Mike..." She didn't expect to find him there.