Chapter Thirty-One: Ciaran

Start from the beginning

I was soaking up all the good vibes I almost forgot I still have a major problem to deal with. Thankfully I have Jean to remind me.

"They're here." She said shooting me down from my newfound high. And from the way she was clutching my arm it means they're here to cause serious trouble. Damn!

My other arm immediately circled around Ruari and Keiron's hackles shot up. All our senses are now on high alert.

"Ciaran?" Ruari asked in confusion when he felt my sudden change.

When I didn't respond he linked his mind with mine but I couldn't answer or focus on him. I have to know first what I'm about to deal with.

 "How many?" I asked Jean.

She looked like she saw a ghost or something. I thought she'd be more calm about this visit since she knew about Ruari's family beforehand. But from her pale complexion and worried expression something about them spooked her. And I never thought I'd see the day that this seemingly fearless woman look utterly terrified.

"Three, his brother and two escorts." She answered looking at Ruari before turning back to me. "Lorcan is entertaining them right now. I told him not to let them wander around and I asked these two," she motioned at Bran and Prior. "To tell the pack not to say anything until you come."

Three. I don't know how I feel about that number. With such a small group I could almost hope they're here to just see and talk to Ruari. But I'm not naïve to believe that bullshit for one second.

Yes, they'd want to see and talk to him but if they didn't mean to cause trouble they could have announced their arrival instead of just showing up out of the blue. Unless we know what they're after, it's best not let our guards down.

"Go back inside the house," I told the others. "I need to talk to Ruari before we come inside and greet them."

I took Ruari's arm and pulled him away.

I should have prepared for this the moment Jean told me about them. Now what? What do I do next? Damn it I'm drawing blanks!

"I'm sorry I was ignoring you but I had to ask about the situation first."" I turned to Ruari once we were a good distance away from the house. "

"What's is it about?" He asked. "Who's at the house?"

I really hoped I didn't have to tell this to him, not this soon and not this way.

I wish I could just take him far away.

"Your brother." I answered.

I saw intense rage flare in his eyes and I felt my heart drop to my stomach. Shit, I knew it!

"Fuck you Ciaran!" He cursed before turning to walk away from me.

"I'm not lying! Do you really think I'd hurt you like that?" I tried pulling him back but Ruari just pushed me off.

 "Everyone knows I'm an orphan goddamn it!" He screamed. He was so angry I could feel it cutting through me. "Of course you're lying and yes, it fucking hurts me when you do!"

"Damn it, I wish I were!" I snapped.

Oh gad he doesn't know. I can't even begin to explain to him how I wished this was all just a fucking lie! But it isn't. They're here and I'm running out of damned time.

"I wish your brother is not in the pack house right now. I wish he didn't come to Moonscape to try and take you away from me. But believe me I am not lying! I won't lie to you Ruari, not about something like this."

I could see his body visibly shake and I regret that he had to find out about his family this way. But its too late for regrets now.

"I don't know much okay, like you I'm figuring this out as I go. As you know Jean and I had a talk. She told me you're not an orphan and like you, at first, I didn't believe her either. But then she told me that we should make up before your family comes for you. She told me once they come and find out what happened to you here in Moonscape they'd take you away and there'd be nothing I could do to stop them."