"I see – so you will have to go to the market soon, I presume?" he asked.

"Yes, Kondo san. Would it be possible to go today? I can leisurely pick up supplies while the rest of you are working hard in cleaning up," I teased making him laugh.

"Why don't you take Chizuru chan with you? She and maybe...Saito kun and Toshi?"

"I don't mind...but do we really need captains escorting us?" I asked curiously.

"A-ah, well, Toshi would prefer to be an escort when Chizuru chan is concerned..." he trailed off as if it was nothing curious but my lips twitched, threatening to break into a smile. So Hijikata san had feelings for Chizuru, huh? That's interesting...and adorable.

"Okay, if that's what you think is best," I responded without further fuss.

Having agreed to both cleaning the headquarters as well as going to the market to restock on necessary herbs and salves, Kondo san and I parted. I headed to the infirmary to check the stores and make a list of the ingredients I needed to restock as well as the ingredients that I could use to make a possible cure for Okita san's illness. However, while I was walking through the hallways, I came upon Okita san leaning against a pillar with his eyes closed. Upon hearing my footsteps, he opened his eyes and looked at me absorbingly.

"Okita san," I said, coming to a stop a few feet in front of him.

"I believe you have something to tell me, Sara san?" he replied, smirking. "Shall we go someplace cozy to talk about it?"

I clenched my fists with a soft exhale but nodded. I followed him to the back courtyard that was the most isolated part of the headquarters. We came to a stop in the middle of the courtyard, under the warm summer sun and pleasant breeze. Okita san had his back to me and we remained silent for several minutes. He was the first to break the silence.

"So, what exactly do I have?"

"Okita san..." I hesitated. I closed my eyes feeling momentarily burdened. I looked to the ground with a deep sigh, "You have tuberculosis."

"Haa...that incurable disease, huh?" he mused, as if not really bothered by it.

"That's it?" I asked, making looked back at me curiously. "That's all you're going to say? You're not bothered by it?"

"I had a hunch," he responded with a shrug, "and what's the point in worrying about it anyway? Worrying won't change anything and it most definitely won't cure me. My days are numbered but I'm going to make the best use of them and fight for the Shinsengumi till my last breath."

"No!" I hollered instantly causing him to frown. "I-I mean, you can't strain your body in your current condition. You need to rest and maybe shift to someplace where there is fresh air and-"

"I'm not leaving," he stated curtly. "I have nowhere else to go – the Shinsengumi is my home and my family and I'm not leaving."

"Fine...but you must rest," I insisted.

"Resting won't make me better – I want to be useful in whatever time I have remaining so I'm not going to waste it by resting," he stated firmly, "and you better not tell anyone about it, Sara san...and Chizuru."

"Chizuru?" I mumbled in surprise. I looked back when I heard soft footsteps. Chizuru, who had been hiding, had made herself visible and she was looked at us with glassy eyes.

"If you tell anyone, I might have to kill you both," Okita san added. I looked back at him to find him smiling...but something about it was sad.

"Okita san, you may still be wary of me and you may not believe me but I will do my best to find a solution to this. I will cure your illness and make it so that you can continue serving in the Shinsengumi at your full potential. So please," I requested, "you must agree to rest until then."