Okita Souji •|Mission|•

Part two, as promised!😚 Sorry it took so long♥️

~~~~~

A group of kids were gathered around each other. Well— to be more accurate, it was two adults and a few kids.

"Mission Start." Heisuke whispered to the few kids who were awake.

"Yeah!" They fist pumped the air excitedly.

"Shhhh!" Shinpachi held his index finger to mouth. "If you wake up the other kids, we can't go."

"Thanks for covering for us, Saito." Sanosuke turned around from the group and apologized. "We'll be back soon."

"Sure." The purple-haired male nodded and silently headed back into the room where the other kids were sleeping.

"Roll call." Sanosuke averted his attention to the remaining children. "Just say your numbers."

"One!" Shinpachi yelled excitedly

"Shhhh!" It was the kids' turn to shush the male.

"You're not part of the roll call, Shin." Heisuke rolled his eyes.

"Let's try this again." Sanosuke sighed. "Roll call."

"One!" A little boy named Yuta yelled.

"Two!" Another boy, Kai, was ecstatic to be leaving the compound.

"Three." A little girl called Mirai had nervously called out.

"One for each of us." Sanosuke smiled. "I like these numbers."

"Let's head out!" Shinpachi began to march through the front gate.

"Shhhhh!" The kids had once again warned the adult to be mindful of his volume.

"You're gonna give away our cover." Yuta scolded, holding onto the fabric by Shinpachi's waist.

"Yeah, you're too loud for this secret mission." Kai agreed. "Right, Heisuki?"

"My name is Heisuke, kid." The brunette sighed, holding the child's hand.

"You're such a good girl." Sanosuke had picked a silent Mirai up off of her feet and held her in his arms.

"Based on the intel I received during lunch, they will be headed to the lantern festival." Yuta informed with all seriousness.

"Nu-uh."Kai argued. "They're going to Sensei's favorite sweets shop."

"Well if that's the case, let's split up, search, and regroup." Heisuke suggested.

"What if the Ikeda Inn incident happens again?" Shinpachi warned.

"You're stupid, Shin." Heisuke sighed out of frustration. "We're not going to be attacking anyone so it's fine."

"Heisuki said you're stupid." Kai snickered.

"I'm not stupid, kid!" Shinpachi protested.

"My name's Heisuke!" The brunette was becoming agitated.

"Guys!" Sanosuke had reeled in everyone's attention once more. "We'll divide and conquer. Mirai just told me that there's another spot that Okita and the girl were planning on heading to so let's split."

"I said that. You're stealing my thunder, Sano." Heisuke whined.

"That's enough, let's go already Heisuki!" Kai was tugging at the brunette's sleeves.

"Mirai and I are heading this way." Sanosuke informed, branching off to the right.

"See you guys later." Heisuke dragged Kai to the left.

"That leaves the two of us." Shinpachi crouched down to meet Yuta at eye-level.

"I can't believe I got stuck with the brawns." It sounded like he was complaining but... "This is awesome!" Yuta exclaimed. "Let me ride on your shoulders!"

"If that'll keep you happy." Shinpachi agreed, lifting the child up and placing him securely atop his wide shoulders.

After a couple hours of searching, the three pairs decided to regroup.

"I couldn't find them anywhere." Heisuke whined. He was piggybacking Kai who had fallen asleep.

"Me neither." Shinpachi had thrown a groggy Yuta over his shoulder.

"Let's go back then." Sanosuke suggested. For some reason, Mirai was fighting her exhaustion and had decided that she didn't want to be carried.

"No!" She whined, tugging on her chaperone's clothes. "I want to find Sensei..." Her eyes began to water.

"I know how you feel." Sanosuke tenderly stroked her hair. "Just let me talk with the guys about it then."

He turned away for a split second and that was enough time for the small girl to wander off.

"You're such a flirt." Mirai heard your familiar voice.

"Sensei?" She ran in the direction where you could be heard.

Her hopeful eyes desperately searching for your figure.

As she approached a large crowd, she spotted Okita's plum colored kimono. You were right next to him.

"Sensei!" The girl cried out.

Upon recognition of the voice, you turned around only to have a small girl bump into your legs.

"Mirai?!" You were taken aback. "You're supposed to be sleeping, why are you outside of the temple?"

She didn't answer and only shoved her face deeper into your kimono, tightening her grip on you.

Okita had kneeled down and met the child at eye-level.

She couldn't help but glare at him. "Don't kidnap my Sensei!" Mirai shouted, granting several stares from nosy bystanders.

"Mirai, I'm not being kidnapped." You informed the girl. "I'm only hanging out with Okita-San for a little while."

It seems like the reason Mirai was nervous the whole day was because she thought "the mission" was to rescue her kidnapped Sensei.

"You want to accompany us on our date?" Okita asked the girl. "We'll be your mommy and daddy for the rest of the night."

"Really?" Her eyes lit up.

"Don't make promises to one child if you can't do it for the others." You warned the male.

"It's fine, isn't it?" Okita threw his signature grin up at you. "I wanna show little Mirai here that I'm not trying to take you away from her."

Mirai nodded and held her arms up expectantly.

"I suppose." You watched as he picked Mirai up, holding her small body in his sturdy arms.

"Or we could just get married and adopt them all." Okita sneakily added.

"They're all my children already." You chuckled at the thought. "So they're yours regardless if we get adopt them or not."

Mirai placed her hands around Okita's neck and succumbed to the sleep that had been weighing over her.

After the date, the two of you returned to the temple and were greeted by an apologetic trio.