⋙ Chapter Three

Start from the beginning

I regarded Tyler incredulously. How had they managed to keep that event hushed up?

Ah, the perks of being a top student.

“It was recommended by your last teacher for Dan to have another assessment made, because of an incident involving a fire. I’ll be doing that today, and after that, Dan shall get to choose whether to risk losing hair again.”

Dan smiled thankfully at Mr Lester, before studying shoes to avoid Tyler’s rage.

“Think of it as good thing. I doubt many Fires and Waters have trained together. It’ll be far more interesting than going with an element you compliment. Besides, you may find you have more in common than you think.”

“Fine,” Tyler snapped. With that, he spun on heel to storm off. I followed Tyler to the back corner, away from everyone else.

“Just so you know, I’m not happy with this arrangement either.” He had his back to me, so I didn’t know if he even heard me. I cleared my throat, trying to speak up a bit. “Do you want to attack first of shall I?”

He didn’t respond. I took a step closer. He wasn’t that annoyed was he? I-

All of a sudden he swiveled around shot a fire bolt at my chest.

Fortunately I was one step ahead of him. I quickly had a waterfall cascading around me to protect myself. The fire bolts dissolved into the water.

Tyler nodded, folding his arms. Was he impressed? I couldn’t tell - his face was blurred by the water. When the water cleared slightly, his expression had washed away, replaced with a cold gaze.

After a moment's pause he began rotating his wrists in a circular shape, the words “boule de feu”. leaving his lips. Slowly a pulsing yellow light was being formed. I’d seen it before on TV - without a barrier, they could travel right through a person’s bone. Obviously he’d decided to ignore the instruction of using simple attack spells. For some reason unbeknown to me. I was revelling in the light. It seemed to be constantly changing. Sometimes it looked circular, other times it looked cubish.

All too soon he fired it at me.

I pushed the water outwards, engulfing the fire ball. Unlike before it didn’t dissolve. Instead, it travelled closer. I uttered “tourbillon” as my brow creased with confusion. A whirlpool pulled the light away from me, dragging away it’s energy. When the flames died away, I found myself panting. The waterfall evaporated within seconds as my adrenaline drifted away. I closed my eyes, attempting to regain control of myself.

Tyler was frowning at me when I finally opened my eyes.“I was lead to believe Waters could only purify and heal.”

I scoffed at him.“Shows how well you pay attention in class.”

“I pay attention to the important stuff. Water powers aren’t important to me - or to anyone in fact- except Waters themselves. I’m not surprised, considering-”

I wasn’t in the mood to hear his Fire-superiority speeches. “Can’t you even open your mind to the possibility that Waters could possibly be as mighty as Fires?”

“Hey! I used to have an open mind! The issue was my brain kept falling out, so I closed it.”

“I guess you didn’t pick it back up when you did.” I murmured, rolling my shoulders back.

“What was that?” He asked, tilting his head to one side.

I ignored him. “I’ll test you now?”

He rolled his eyes and braced himself. “Fine. If you think you're any good.” 

I noticed his hands tremble slightly. I quirked my eyebrow. His cocky demeanour was not entirely true. “Scared, Oakley?”