Chapter 3

Shinedown- Simple Man

"Well mama told me, when I was young
Said sit beside me, my only son
And listen closely to what I say
And if you do this, it'll help you some sunny day

Ahhh
Yeah it will

Or take your time don't live to fast
Troubles will come and they will pass
You'll find a woman and you'll find love
And don't forget that there's is a someone up above

[Chorus]
Be a simple kind of man
Be a something you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
(if you can)

Forget your lust for the rich man's gold
All that you need now is in your soul
And you can do this(oh baby)if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

[Chorus]
And be a simple kind of man
Be a something that you love and understand
Baby be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
(if you can)

Oh don't you worry
You'll find yourself
Follow your heart
And nothing else
And you can do this(oh baby)if you try
All that I want from you my son is to be satisfied

[Chorus]
And be a simple kind of man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can
So baby be a simple be a simple man
Oh won't you do this for me son if you can"

**beep beep low battery beep beep**

  Well I guess I couldn't listen to my ipod anymore. Glad it finished my favorite song. I forgot how hot and humid Waco is, as I walked to my aunt's ranch. I should have took a cab but I didn't want to waste money. Plus I hitched a ride from the airport. Dropped me off right in front the road that leads to my aunt's ranch, Hope Ranch. I have some of my best childhood memories here. I learned how to care for the horses, feed them, check their hooves for rocks and sticks.

  The last time I was here was when I shifted, I should have known something was about to happen because the horses were acting nervous around me. I remember riding Placid, a beautiful pinto, when she started acting weird, well more like shaking and sweating as if she sensed a predator. I tried to sooth her by stroking her mane and talking sweet to her but as soon as I touched her neck she reared up and threw me. I don't remember much after that because of the fever and then I shifted. It hurt so much, like my body was on fire, then as quickly as it started it stopped.

  I saw my father in his wolf form, he mind linked me to follow him. It was a weird feeling hearing him talk in my mind. And even crazier hearing my wolf, most of the time she real quiet hardly says anything. I feel her presence mostly but that day when Emilio attacked me I could feel her anger, and when he tried to mark me I could feel her panicking and wanting to shift in the village with humans around. I controlled her then,for now anyway but I really won't know how she will act after I ascend. Hopefully she will be like me. Papa always said your wolf is your inner self.

  Once I ascend we will be able to talk to each other. Victoria said it is like having your own bestfriend. I remember her arguing with her wolf, it was so funny watching her talk to her wolf. She kept getting frustrated, Victoria already showed her emotions on her sleeves. It was like a old silent film. Victoria told me she thinks her wolf is crazy, I almost died laughing. I miss my best friend she would have been able to talk Emilio out of this foolishness.

  I could see in the distance Hope Ranch, I was so excited I ran the rest of the way. The wind felt so good against my sweat covered skin. I ran up the drive to the door. I stopped to catch my breath before I knocked on the door. After looking at my reflection in the window, I decided I looked decent enough, I knocked on the door. I waited still no answer. I looked around and noticed the horses weren't out in the field. I knocked again no answer, I started peeking through the window when I heard a gun cock behind me.

  "Don't you dare run, drop your pack and turn around slowly. I won't hesitate to pull this trigger." I wasn't scared I knew that voice anywhere. "Ranger, I ain't a theif. Now all them times I stole them pies for you off the window sill don't count." I turned around with a big smile on my face. "Sophie girl come here and give me one of them bear hugs. I almost shot you." He smiled and had his arms spread wide open.

  My aunt Rebecca kept Ranger on after her grandfather passed away. He taught me everything I needed to know about riding horses. He took care of the ranch, horses, and the cows. My aunt said he was born to do a job like this, it was in his blood. As I ran into his arms I felt relieved, like the last couple of days were over I finally felt safe. I started crying, I couldn't help myself. I had the weight of the world on my shoulders and the one person who I wanted to talk to was gone.

  "Hey, its okay, your pal Ranger will fix it. Don't cry, remember real cowgirls don't cry." He started looking around, I guess he was looking for my father. I wish he was right behind me. I wish he did find away to out run them. "Where's your paw, Sophie girl? Did you come here all by yourself?" I started crying even harder how could I tell him what happened. He didnt know about us. Only aunt Rebecca knew our secret but I had to tell him something.

  "My pa-papa's gone, he-he couldn't ma-make it. I'm all alone n-now." Through all the crying and me trying to tell him what happened, I didnt notice some of the ranch hands circled us. I looked up startled to see so many some old faces in the crowd, most having a sad look in their eyes. They understood what I had said, most were my fathers friends. When we came down for visits it was like a big family reunion. All the hugging, laughing, tears, and the best bbq I ever tasted.

  I hiccupped, "Where's aunt Rebecca? Is she here." Ranger was patting my back, "Sweetheart she went to San Antonio, to hold on to her title. You know how competitive she is." Yes I do, I was there that year she won National Rodeo Riding Champion. I never seen her so happy. She worked so hard for that championship. The cowboy she beat was her old beau back in high school. I remember the tension between them, papa said, "Just to wait it will work out in the end." Of course then I had no idea what he was talking about.

  I remember getting the invitation for their wedding. I couldn't go then, it was around the full moon and I had trouble controling my shifting. "How long will they be gone." I asked. I didn't want to stay in the big house by myself. I already started to feel lonely. "Don't you worry, Sophie girl, they will be back on thursday night. We will keep you company, and Placid just had a new colt yesterday. He doesn't have a name yet and I know Rebecca won't mind if her favorite neice named him." I laughed, "I'm her only neice, Ranger"

  I got settled in the big house and was on my way to the stables to see my big girl and her colt. After my first shift I haven't went near her I was hoping she wouldn't freak out like last time. We had horses back in the village but papa said they were used to our scent. I was even able to ride one of Victoria's family horses at one point. So with my fingers crossed I walked into the stables. I heard the horses neighing nervously, I didnt get close to the stalls. Placid would be in the middle stall since she had a colt, it was designed just for that.

  I walked to her stall not getting to close. She watched me, I took a step closer. She was still watching her ears forward. Confidence, don't show that your nervous, I had to syke myself up. "Hey Placid remember me." As soon as she heard my voice she neighed and walked towards the stall. I brought a slice of apple and held it out for her. She greedily took it and started sniffing for more. "You do remember me. I missed you so much. You know you were always my confidant." I scratched behind her ear affectionately. I walked closer to the stall to see if I can see the new edition to the ranch. "You got you a handsome little fellow. Wow he looks like a champ already. Champ, that's a perfect name for your baby."

  Perfect name for a almost perfect day.