Just One

A knock at my door made us both jump away from each other quickly. I sighed as I turned and clutched my beating heart. Nicklaus cleared his throat and moved to the door. I sat on the edge of my bed and purposely kept my eyes on the window.

"Am I interrupting something?" Meredith said as she walked in with a knowing smirk. I sighed as I looked at her. I didn't want her to fully know of my relationship with her younger brother.

"No," I said at the same time Nicklaus said yes. I scowled at him briefly before turning my attention back to Meredith.

"I talked to my parents and it's settled. I'm going to this business dinner with you and David. Get some rest, I'll see you tomorrow," she said with a small smile. I thanked her before she left.

"Amelia..." Nicklaus started. I immediately shook my head and walked towards my bathroom.

"I'm going to get ready for bed," I muttered. Nicklaus caught up to me and held me back by my arm.

"Amelia, wait. About what happened," he started. I took a step away from him as I shook my head.

"Nothing happened. Nothing can happen unless I have a death wish. If David finds out you even tried to touch me, he would kill me to prove a point. If your parents found out, I would be sent back to Italy and I would never get to see you again. No matter how much I want this, we can't," I said quietly and quickly. I felt frantic inside. As much as I wanted to forget my worries and just enjoy being in Nicklaus's company, I knew what that would mean for me. I couldn't allow myself to give in to my heart. Nicklaus sighed and brushed his thumb over my cheek gently before he held my chin up so I was looking at him. Tears blurred my vision. I wanted this, probably more than Nicklaus, but it could never be.

"I understand... And I'm not going to go anywhere, but," he paused as his hand held my waist in place. "Grant me just one kiss," he asked.

I hesitated before I nodded lightly. He came forward and encased my lips with his. Butterflies attacked my stomach as I grew weak in my knees. Nick's arm wrapped fully around my waist as he pulled me into him, holding me up with his own body. My mouth moved with his as it felt like fireworks.

I was disappointed when Nicklaus broke the kiss first. I found myself panting. I set my feet firm again as I released a breath and closed my eyes. I rested my hands against his chest.

"I knew it then," he said softly.

"Knew what?" I asked as I opened my eyes to look at him. He tucked a loose strand of hair behind my ear and smiled gently.

"One kiss and I would be wrapped around your finger even tighter than I already am," he said softly. He left a lingering kiss on my forehead before he moved towards the light switch. I sighed and moved toward my bed, slightly dazed.

"Nicklaus, that can never happen again," I said softly as I pulled the duvet over me. He gave me a nod and small sad smile.

"I know," he said just as softly before he turned off the lights.

~

The next morning, I woke up thinking about the kiss. Hell, I dreamed about that kiss. I didn't move for fear that Nicklaus would know I was up. After a moment, I sighed and sat up, bringing my knees to my chest.

"Nicklaus, are you awake?" I whispered. He breathed deeply before he came and sat next to me on the bed. I closed my eyes as his thumb brushed over my bottom lip.

"I can't stop thinking about that kiss," he admitted. I opened my eyes to meet his.

"I know," I said softly, as I looked away from him. I got up and headed to my bathroom. "But we have to," I added before closing the door behind me. I sighed before moving into the shower and starting my morning routine. Once I was dressed and ready, I went back into my room to find Nicklaus was still there, sitting on my bed.

"What are you doing?" I asked him, slightly confused. He took my hand in his as I came within reach.

"I wish I could go with you tonight," he said softly as he kissed my hand. I sighed and held his hand tightly.

"You know why you can't," I said. I brought my freehand up and held his cheek as I moved closer to him.

"We should have never kissed," I practically whispered. He placed a hand on my waist and looked up to me.

"We probably shouldn't have, but I don't regret it... do you?" He asked. I hesitated before I nodded.

"I do regret it... because we've just peeked inside Pandora's box knowing that we can never have any of its treasures."

"We can leave right now if you want. We could ran away to somewhere far. I can get someone to fire up the jet," he said with a sly smile. I cracked a smile and pushed his shoulder back gently.

"You know what I meant, Nick," I giggled. He caught my hand and pulled me closer to him.

"I know what you meant Principessa. I just wanted to see you smile," he said softly. He kissed my hand gently.

"You should go, Nicklaus. I have to get ready for tonight and I need to talk to Meredith," I said. He stood and kissed my head before he left. I sighed and straightened my blouse and slacks.

I walked through the corridors to Meredith's room and knocked lightly. She opened the door and smiled at me.

"Amelia, what can I help you with?" She asked. I couldn't find it in me to return the smile as I walked inside her room.

"I'm nervous about tonight," I admitted. "And Nicklaus kissed me last night. I know what we did was wrong, but it felt... right. I'm so confused," I rambled as I sat on her couch. She sighed and sat next to me.

"I think you love Nick... And he's clearly head over heels in love with you. If this were a different situation, I would tell you to follow your heart, but I know what that entails for you," she said. A silence fell over us as we were both deep in thought.

"I should get dressed for tonight," I said softly as I stood. She stood as well and hugged me gently.

"We'll figure something out... alright? Plus, it's just one lousy dinner."

I nodded before I left her room. Ingrid glared at me as we passed in the hall. I ignored her and started dressing for the business dinner.