Five: Jake

"Jake honey!" All the breath got knocked out of me as my mom wrapped her arms around me. Her bone crushing hug was making me groan before she finally let go and looked up and down my body. "How are you feeling, are you hungry?"

"No mom, I'm fine."

She grabbed my arm and started pulling me into the kitchen, where I saw my father waiting. He looked me up and down before nodding in my direction. He had never been a very affectionate person especially towards me or my mom. At least my mom liked to hug and be around me.

"Hi dad," I said while leaning against the counter. He simply nodded again before going back to the paper he was reading.

"You sure you don't want anything to eat?"

"No thanks."

With that she started asking about everything that happened, and how I even ended up in that situation in the first place. I didn't want to tell her I was there because I was upset about Owen fucking someone, but I realized I'd have to eventually. The entire drive here I was trying to think of a way to tell my parents about liking a boy. I didn't want to tell Owen because he knew my parents were homophobic and he'd probably say not to. But at the same time, I was their son. Would it be different because I was their own blood or would that make it ten times worse?

"Jake?" When I looked up I realized I must've zoned out.

"Sorry mom, lots on my mind."

She nodded before something seemed to click and her eyes started twinkling. "Understandable honey, but does this have anything to do with a special someone in your life?"

My mouth felt dry as I looked at her excited face. Was I supposed to lie to her for the rest of my life? She obviously knew I liked girls because I dated Elise, but she didn't know I liked one boy. One boy who could make me extremely happy even when I'm not happy with myself. If I told her I was into a girl would that be even worse? My heart started beating faster as I looked between them. I didn't want to live in a lie, and I didn't want to sneak around with Owen. He was too special for that.

"Yeah," I said as my voice cracked. Clearing my throat I shoved my shaking hands into my pockets as my mom started clapping her hands.

"Wonderful! I'm so happy you've moved on from Elise. What's the lucky lady's name?"

Looking between them again, I realized this might be the last time I'd be in this house. Growing up here was fun and this house was amazing, especially when my Grandpa was over. I knew those memories would stay with me, and just hoped they didn't hate me.

"Owen," I quietly said while watching my father instantly put his paper down. His cold eyes were looking over at me as he slowly stood up.

"Care to repeat yourself?" He asked as my mom frowned.

"I have feelings for my best friend, Owen." I loudly swallowed when he came closer to me. "He's a great guy and-"

My body flew back against the counter when he slapped my cheek. The kitchen got super silent as I looked up into his eyes, the ones that were looking at me with disgust. "You're gay?"

"I'm uhm, I... I guess bi."

This time my mom walked closer and slapped me hard on my cheek. I flinched and instantly turned away from her but her fingers pulled me back to face her. She looked super pissed as her fingers dug into my skin more before she twisted my arm in an unnatural position.