How to Write a Kissing Scene

The first kiss between two characters in a book is usually the most important one in the story. That's the one that typically gets the most attention writing-wise. You get into all the ooey-gooey details. How do I do this? How do I write a really solid, impactful kiss that readers are just going to devour? Now, I'm not trying to brag, but I've kissed a man or two in my day, and I've written a kiss scene or two in my day, so I'm going to tell you what needs to go down in a kiss scene in order to make it awesome, assuming you want this kiss to be awesome because not all kisses are awesome.

by Jenna Moreci

1. Describe the kiss itself. But you don't have to go into meticulous details, describing the physical aspects of the kiss.

2. Describe the body. Describe hands, body position, and body movement.

3. Describe the inner workings of the body. The way your body reacts to a kiss is how you know that you're getting kissed real good. A good kiss will make you hot all over, your heart beat faster, your breath becomes rapid, or you'll have trouble breathing, and in general, your body becomes more sensitive. You'll get goose-bumps or chills, and every touch will suddenly feel very magnified.

4. Describe the emotion. How are your characters really feeling? What does this kiss mean going forward for them? Explain what this moment means for the characters.