26

Chapter Twenty-Six | Alfredo

You know it's going to be a long day at school when you see Liam Claremont storming down the hall with his face redden, and his nose titled towards the ceiling.I looked at him with questioning eyes as he rushed and pushed back students in the hall before disappearing into the crowd of the people. Without a second thought, I was about to go after him but before I could make a single step, I felt a hand on my shoulder.

"Asher," Celeb and De'Andre greeted me unexpectedly. They both had raised brow looks on their face as they stared at me, but they went away just as quickly as they came. "Where the hell have you been man? We tried calling you all last night and you never answered." De'Andre said.

I blinked at them as I quickly tried to think of a believable answer.

I spent last night with Liam and it was one of the most amazing nights of my life. It felt like my heart was full for the first time in a long time, and just to have him with me beside me in bed was like heaven on the earth. It's weird because it doesn't even have to be anything sexual with him for me to feel that way, even though that's how we originally started this — whatever it is "this" is supposed to be.

I just like being with him, honestly. I just like having him in my arms, feeling his body heat on my chest. It's like when we hug his body just fit so perfectly against mine. When I wrap my arms around him and his face curls into that place between my shoulder and neck, and I close my eyes and just breathe in his familiar scent. When I breathe it just smells overwhelmingly safe and familiar so my exhale is more of a content sigh than anything else.

"I- I was super tired last night," I quickly lied, rubbing the back of my neck sheepishly. "Plus I haven't really been feeling that well. Think I might have a cold or something."

"Mhm, you do look a little pale." Caleb pursed his lips, placing the back of his hand on my forehead, but I quickly smacked it away. Turning on my heels, I began to make my way towards my locker, Caleb and De'Andre following behind me.

Navigating though the hallway, I could tell from the whispers and snickers that gossip was brewing at Stratford Academy and it didn't take a genius to figure out who was the trending topic.

"Do I wanna know why everyone is acting messier than usual today?" I asked the two, opening my locker and exchanging my books.

De'Andre raised a brow up at me. "You haven't heard?" I shook my head no at him.

"Liam and Imani broke up last night," Caleb told, leaning a resting arm against the row of lockers. "Apparently this one was worse than usual because Imani finally exposed Liam for being an abuser-"

"A w-what?!" My eyes widened at the word, and I found my voice louder than necessary, causing a few heads in the hallway to turn my way. I collected myself, shrugging the strange looks from the students in the hallway. Caleb nodded head while Andre just shook his with folded arms like a disappointed father.