Chapter 14

Miranda, dearest, you absolutely must re-think your vision of an ideal match; handsome looks, elegance, and charm are qualities found in every rake in England! How could your thoughts move so quickly from suspicion to supplication?? I am disappointed in you, meeting men you have just met in dark rooms alone is begging for something terrible to happen, I am glad Matthew found you. I agree it does not seem likely he was waiting for you; I would dare say it is more likely he was waiting for someone else and you surprised him! And to leave you alone and not deign to protect you or your honor...what if it had not been Matthew who found you? What a dissolute character, I dearly hope you were thoroughly put off of him after that scene and are now no longer in danger of harboring any feelings for him! 

After much consideration I have decided to congratulate you on your newfound feelings for our Mr Westbrook. I was in disbelief at first, but now I have thought on it for some time I have come to the following conclusion: Matthew Westbrook is far superior to every other man you have claimed to love. He is not stupid, he is not rash or indecent, he is well settled, and quite the most handsome man of our acquaintance. If a difference in age of eleven years is not too horrid an idea, I think you would do well to love him. In any case, he has always been part of our family so it only seems proper to make it official. 

As for wasting the city's delights, I beg to differ and declare I am experiencing every one of the delights Bath could offer me. Rest assured, sister dear, I have attended a crush since I sent you a letter last; you may have found it enjoyable and I wish you many a crush once you are in London. I did not find it enjoyable being pushed about and squashed between bodies at every turn – I am certain some men used it to their advantage in order to take liberties, my bottom and arms and waist were 'accidently' fondled one to many a time. Sicily complained of the same and so Mr Eugene Dunsworth was most gallant in remaining behind us when we took it upon ourselves to venture into the crowd, the amount of fondling decreased when he was with us.
My affection for him has increased yet more; I did not think it possible. 

It is a shocking scary thing hearing your account of Lord Miles as he was here at the pump rooms yesterday afternoon. He was staring at Sicily and I from across the room, not coming to greet us or moving his gaze from us for even a moment, and caused us such discomfort we left in haste! I almost wish you had not told me for now I will be loath to leave our rooms lest I encounter him again. I am sure he is merely odd and perfectly harmless, I'm sure it is a coincidence he is in Bath; I laugh...but in my heart I do not think it funny. 

I am thrilled you are now in London sister! It is so much more the place to be than Bath for the season. We are to remain two more weeks. I will write to papa and ask him if I may join you there once I am quit Bath. I wait in heavy anticipation for your responding letter,

The most love,

Your Izzy