Chapter 33

The women preferred not to go out hunting the next day. As much as Izzy and Sicily quite enjoyed it on any other day, it was simply too cold out for their tastes and so they chose the less invigorating but equally enjoyable activity of redressing bonnets with new ribbons and florals; the three older ladies having gone up to check that luggage was packed and ready to be brought out once the men had returned. 

"That is quite pretty Miss Riley." Sicily leaned over to admire the twins' handiworks. "I never thought of putting silk roses on the underside."

Miranda received the compliment with humble pride. 

"How are you meant to wear it?" Isabel questioned, sewing a thick ribbon into pleats around the band of her project. 

"I have a picture in my mind of wearing it tipped back and to the side a little, then if I do my hair in a high style the roses with frame it nicely. I saw a woman our age wearing something similar while in London – I thought I might try my hand at re-creating it." She paraded it on her head for her companions to observe. 

"Seems a bit impractical, you will have to wear it with very specific styles and outfits." Isabel commented. "But it is very pretty." 

"I quite like it!" Sicily reached for it, wishing to try it on herself. 

Miranda declared immediately "Why Miss Dunsworth, this is a perfect piece for you! You do not have to try and style your hair around it at all." 

"I really wish I could look so handsome with hair so short." Isabel sighed, "but blond hair would not compliment the style I'm sure." 

"Heavens no! How could you think of cutting your hair, Izzy! Shocking!" Miranda laughed. "It looks lovely on Miss Dunsworth and suits her personality well, but I would not recommend it for you!" 

"I feel blond hair would look very elegant short." Sicily replied, returning Miranda's work to her. "And if Izzy tried it and decided it did not look well on her it would re-gain it's length soon enough." 

"Perhaps, but she would receive little attention from potential suitors in the meantime." 

Sicily grinned. "Quite the opposite I imagine." 

"I don't endeavor to offend, but I do not think men very much inclined towards women who sport manly appearances." 

"On the contrary, I have received significant number of proposals despite my cut and style; I am single by choice not due to a lack of offers." 

"I hope you know it was not my intent to insult.." 

Sicily assured her friend kindly. "I know how you meant it, Miss Riley, I am not offended." 

"Did you not care for any of those who asked for your hand?" Miranda then added quickly. 

"No...I make friends easily enough, but in my experience men don't seem capable of just being friends with a woman;" she laughed, "they are romantic creatures and always end up falling in love – be it with the woman or her wealth." 

"Have you never been in love?" 

"Not until recently." 

"Why Sicily, how have I not heard of this." Isabel teased. "I thought we were to know everything about one-another!" Miss Dunsworth laughed awkwardly in reply. "Tell us a name, you know we shan't tell a soul!" But Miss Dunsworth would not be persuaded. 

"I am sorry, Ladies, that is a name I shall take with me to my grave."

"Surely not! He will fall for you just as everyone does; then we shall know this mystery man!" Isabel stated with certainty. 

Miss Dunsworth barked a short laugh. "I'm afraid it is impossible for us to be together; and even if it were not, the person in question told me in confidence, ignorant of my keen affection for them, that they love another. I also know their love is reciprocated and so I will be very content seeing the two mopsy's happy together...now let us please divagate from this topic." added she quietly. 

The twins glanced at each other with mutual sorrow on behalf of their heartsick friend, respecting her wishes and lightening the mood with cheerful banter.

~~~

The men returned just after one o'clock, much to everyone's despondency for, not only did they return empty-handed, now they were back it was time for a quick lunch before Tenby's guests would depart. Isabel's anxiety increased. As much as she tried to remain prudent and dispassionate, her heart wailed at the thought of Eugene Dunsworth leaving, not knowing when she might see him again; hoping there might be time, still, for him to take her aside and proclaim his undying, staggering love for her. Alas, every minute that sped by frayed that hope until – final embraces and handshakes carried out – the guests lighted into their respective modes of transport (Eugene astride Odin) and were flown away in a breath. Matthew, Lord Riley, and Miranda turned to re-enter the manor. 

"Come dearest," Miranda laid a land gently on her twin's shoulder.

~~~

Isabel sat in a window seat in the little library trying to distract herself with an adventure novel; gazing instead out the window upon the courtyard for a full half-hour, deep in thought. Movement caused her eye to drift to the end of the drive. She recognized Odin in an instant, and the rider in the next. "Papa!" cried she, now running to find him. "Papa, Mr Dunsworth returns!" 

"Mr Dunsworth? Returning?" Miranda emerged from another room. "He must have forgotten som.... go quickly to meet him, Izzy." She pushed her twin towards the door. "Papa is in his study with Matthew. I shall inform him one of our guests have returned...and shall occupy Matthew elsewhere."

Isabel fled to the front doors. Heart pounding in anticipation even as she told herself to remain rational. Isabel stepped down to the pebbled courtyard just as Eugene Dunsworth slid off his horse and led it towards her. 

"You are back!" said she, eagerness lending a slight tremor to her voice. "Have you forgotten something?" 

"I..yes." 

There was a very prolonged silence in which neither of them moved, or even ceased gazing at the other. 

"I had to return, Miss Riley. I.." he reached for her hand, which she very willingly allowed him to take "I couldn't leave without asking...without telling you I..." He swallowed. 

"Without telling me what..?" she encouraged, a little giggle bursting forth before she was able to stop it. 

He closed his eyes briefly tight, looking to the sky as he struggled, the corners of his mouth began to twitch upward. "Miss Riley may I.." His eyes met hers once more, unsuccessful in holding back his grin. "Shall I..Miss Riley should I speak to your father? Do I have any hope?.." 

"Yes! Oh, absolutely! Yes, he is in his study and very prepared to give us every blessing! Make haste and come straight back to me!" 

Dunsworth's grin widened and he left her with Odin to jog into the house. Haste was made indeed, Lord Riley did not linger in giving Eugene Dunsworth a favorable response to his request. The young man fled outdoors once more with uncharacteristic abandon to rejoin his lady, who laughed in joy at seeing him approach. She was wrapped in a tight embrace and lifted high, neither of them able to cease their beaming smiles. 

"You must spin me around now for I believe that is the romantic thing to do!" joked she; then shrieked gleefully as he did just so.