Chapter 12

Bath itself could not lay claim to all the joy and contentment of Isabel Riley, no matter how beautiful and exciting it deigned to be. She had been to the town before, and though she still greatly enjoyed her rare trips there, it had lost the appeal of being a new place with much to see and explore. Isabel's joy came from being a guide and host-of-sorts for the Dunsworths as it was their first time in Bath. She had some acquaintance there which helped at parties and dinners as she could introduce them.

She took them to the Grand Pump Room first thing the day after they arrived, as it was considered the place to be and must be visited before anything else on any given day, they determined it was a beautiful and lively place but that as there was little to do there in the morning and early-afternoon besides hope to bump into an acquaintance they found it rather over-rated. The third day they went shopping for bathing gowns and spent the evening at a concert at the Pump Rooms.

The fourth day they visited the Roman Baths early when there would be few others there. Isabel was the quickest to change and waited contentedly in the warm waters for the other four to arrive. She floated on her back, eyes closed, until someone pushed her shoulder.
"Oh I am sorr..oh!" It was Eugene Dunsworth, and he was (as could be expected) in a bathing suit. "h-hello." She stuttered, blushing hard. It is a bathing suit, Isabel, there is no need to blush so! Thought she to herself in exasperation. She wished she could attempt some sort of conversation, but really should not, as there was no chaperone present. Sicily Dunsworth took all too long in coming, and when she finally did – arm in arm with Mrs Dunsworth and followed by Mr Dunsworth Sr – Isabel let out a sigh of relief. 

"Miss Dunsworth come in, the water is splendid!" called she, and when accompanied by her friend added quietly "but where are your stockings dearest! You cannot bathe with your legs and feet bared for the men to gawk at!" 

"Gracious it is only my ankles; I do not see the fuss. Men do not gawk at ankles." 

"They do!" 

"They don't. Eugene is a man, let us ask him!" 

"No don't!" Isabel cried, but Miss Dunsworth was already doing so. 

"What say you Eugene? Do you gawk at ankles??" 

"I do not gawk at anything, whether it be ankles or elbows or a fine set of Friesians." he obliged dryly. 

"How peculiar..." Isabel muttered with amusement. 

"Which is peculiar;" Sicily questioned mirthfully, "that my brother compared elbows to horses, or that he does not gawk." 

"I never considered him one to gawk." 

With humor playing on her lips, Sicily raised her brows at her brother who merely stared back at her without expression. 

"I was not comparing; I was merely explaining I do not gawk at anything." 

"Right; well I cannot say I agree." and she dunked herself underwater before her brother could demand her meaning. Isabel sunk down to her chin, relishing the feel of the water on her skin. Sicily popped back up. "How do you feel about this crush we are to attend tonight Miss Riley? Do you wish to go?" 

Isabel was unsure how to respond, so she did so honestly yet also considerate of her friends wanting to go. "I am never full of energy after a swim, but I'm sure it will be enjoyable enough."

"There, see? I told you she would not wish to go." Sicily directed this at her brother triumphantly, who grumbled about his sister not being discrete in the least. 

"I did not say so!" Isabel corrected quickly, "I do not want to deter you if you are looking forward.." 

"You do not wish to go, but are being polite." her friend interrupted with this deduction. "My brother and I would rather not go out tonight, especially after bathing, but he insisted we must go as you would wish to!"