Chapter 1

The Riley twins were born in the spring of 1797 during a ferocious storm that battered the Salisbury Plain for three days together.

Isabel Riley entered the world with a flash of lightning, her shrieking drowned out by a grand clap of thunder. Thirteen minutes later the storm abated, clouds parted, and Miranda Riley was handed to her father, blinking in rays of sun that poured through the window.

Their mother joined the Lord's legion of angels less than an hour later. Lord Robin Augustus Riley, a nobleman of considerable wealth, was left to raise his new twin daughters alone at the ripe age of thirty; though not entirely alone, for his brother-in-law and sister (Mr and Mrs Lawrence) immediately took themselves and their children (six-year-old Edwin and eight-month-old Charity) to Tenby Hall to assist him in his grief. Mrs Lawrence took great pains in hiring a governess for the children and spent her every waking moment with her nieces for the first three months of their life; and visited (with her family) for two months of every summer thereafter.

Lord Riley also had two very good friends in his neighbors, Lord and Lady Westbrook and their son. The Westbrook's were the wealthier of the two families, making fourteen thousand a year to the Riley's ten thousand. They were as close as family; thus, the Westbrooks mourned with Lord Riley in equal measure. 

Six years passed and the pain faded, replaced with happy memories; but life is not often content with only a little tragedy and a grave illness struck Thornhill Manor, the Westbrook's home. Seventeen-year-old Matthew was removed to the Riley's home lest he also become ill, while his parents – along with half of Thornhill's staff – suffered until death. This time, Mr Lawrence came to the rescue (along with his wife and children) and lingered at Tenby Hall for nearly a year while he and Lord Riley aided young Lord Matthew Westbrook in managing his newly inherited estate and holdings. Matthew Westbrook and Edwin Lawrence became fast friends despite the difference in their ages. 

Miranda and Isabel knew not grief. They knew they had no mama but it affected them little. They were saddened by the passing of Lord and Lady Westbrook, but being only six years of age did not fully understand death nor miss their family friends for very long. As they grew older, they had fond and fleeting memories of the couple they had considered a second papa and mama, and loved young Mr Westbrook as if he were their brother.

The lives of Miranda and Isabel were full of luxury, love, and joy. They were adorned in silks, velvets, jewels, and pearls; given playthings, and ponies, and delicacies such as chocolates and sweets; they giggled and played together during the dinner parties and glittering balls held in their opulent home and, on occasion, at the grand Thornhill Manor; peaking down from the higher levels on the swirling couples below and dancing together as their governess clapped and told them they were the most splendid dancers she had ever seen.

Garden parties in the summer were their favorite, for they loved the outdoors; and that was when it was easiest to travel so garden parties usually offered a generous number of young friends to play with as well. 

"It is a marvel how two children can be so alike, yet at the same time so different!" Their Aunt Lizzie observed as she sat with a group of ladies during one of these garden parties. They were currently watching the two girls – who were, at this time, eight years of age – play in the shade of the garden trees. Miranda sat with two other girls her age, pale-blond waves almost glittering in the rays of sun that escaped through the leaves; she was giggling with her friends as they made little bouquets of wildflowers with help from their father and Mr Westbrook. Miranda was jumping for a low-hanging branch of apple blossoms. 

"Here Em. Let me get that for you." Westbrook used the family's pet name for the child as he plucked a sprig of apple blossoms from the branch and handed them down to her. 

"Thank you." She enunciated carefully, focused on stuffing the blooms into her cluster of grass and buttercups with such concentration, face so serious, that Westbrook and Lord Riley chuckled at her. A shout caused them to look towards where Isabel was playing with a group of boys their age. 

Izzy brandished a stick – a shining golden sword in the eyes of she and her companions – and rallied her troops, ashy-blond curls constrained in long ribbons. "Aye men, to me! We gotta get those Pirates!" 

One boy asked tentatively "Do you think I could be captain now? You've been captain most the whole time." 

"You can't just get given captaincy Eugene." Izzy stated disdainfully, "You need fight for it. Or.." A sparkle entered her big grey eyes "There is a way you can be a captain with me." 

"What way." Eugene Dunsworth asked warily. 

"You gotta marry the captain." Izzy grinned. 

The other boys hooted and hollered and young Eugene grew red as a beat, "Not on your life!" said he, looking pleased. 

Izzy frowned, shook her sword, and hollered at the top of her lungs "If it's to be a mutiny then so be it!" A fight ensued which ended in Lord Riley scolding Izzy, hiding his smile as he untied the ribbons that imprisoned Young Mr Dunsworth to a cherry tree. Isabel was running wild, her curls flying free. 

~~~

(Don't forget to vote and comment if you are enjoying the story!)