Chapter XXII

Poe Dameron had a knack for writing songs; he always seemed to know the right words but this song was the opposite of just that.

He decided to write about the inexplicable loss of words he had when it came to Finn- of course less obvious that it was him than that in case he ever wanted to hear it.

But he put his heart and soul into every note he sang and that was the reason he'd been doing so good. People liked feeling things and even better when others could put that into words and help them feel something. Even better, he could play those feelings through his guitar.

It was his pa's fault for him knowing how to play so well- it was one of the reasons he won over his mother to their than his ability to be a person people liked being around- he was the best of the best. So was his ma, who had the voice of an angel which resulted in Poe begging her to sing him to sleep. They were the reasons he loved playing; it connected him to them.

He remembered that every time he would play or sing: they were with him always.

After an hour of him strumming and plucking at his guitar experimentally in an alleyway, he finally walked to the cafe where he'd be playing for the next hour or so.

•••

Finn had been more nervous than he'd been in his entire life for something but it ended up being a breeze. The mayor was a kind gentleman who had greeted him excitedly without looking down on him and it felt nice.

He'd taken pictures and gotten some really good ones. He was praised for it and was even told he'd be using them frequently since of his other pictures turned out like 'a big dog pile of crap'.

The picture-taking took a lot less time than Finn thought which meant he'd get to watch Poe play today.

Although he usually warned him when he was going to watch him, Finn decided he'd drop in as a surprise and for a well deserved cup of coffee.

He loved listening and watching Poe play. Sometimes he'd ask him to teach him but it usually ended up with Finn complaining about his swollen fingers. He didn't mind too much though since his hands had the wonderful privilege of being gently caressed by Poe's.

It was quite casual now actually- for their hands to be close to another or even be touching in some sort of way. It just seemed normal now; although when they'd be out in town, he wouldn't see many other guys so intimate with each other. He wouldn't question it too much but his heart would begin to pound at the thought that they were different in that way.

Finn backed into a parking space near the cafe and hid his camera gear in the backseat under some clothes. He grabbed his wallet and tugged at his blazer so it smoothed our after he got out of the truck.

He was excited to see Poe, even if he'd already seen him a few hours ago. Finn was always so supportive of him and tried his best to watch him but a lot of times that wasn't able to happen. It made him feel terrible but also just that much more thrilled when he was able to see him play somewhere.

The cafe was adequately filled when he opened the doors- his name was already pretty popular when it came to in-town musicians so it made sense. That just made it easier to slip in, grab a coffee, and listen to him in a corner. He didn't want his presence to change the way he played, not that he think it would but still.

Finn heard music from the far corner of the cafe and looked to see Poe sitting on a stool behind a mic gracefully playing his guitar and singing words to a love song Finn hadn't heard before.

He must've written it today, Finn thought. But he wouldn't perform a song without rehearsing it more than a few times, he knew that. He listened to the music and bobbed his head along to the melody as he went up to order a coffee.

It didn't take long for his coffee to come out, Poe was nearly through the chorus and into the second verse. He sang a something about a motel at midnight.

Finn took his seat in the opposite corner of the cafe and watched his friend with a smile that lasted until he heard three words that made his heart skip a beat.

Funny yellow shoes? My yellow shoes?

After finally listening to the lyrics fully, Finn couldn't move. He wasn't sure whether to leave or go straight up to Poe or ignore he heard it all together. His coffee was cold already but he didn't care one bit.

Poe had wrote a song about him- a love song at that.

He pinched his forearm just to make sure he wasn't dreaming and sure enough, he wasn't.

Finn looked up at the sound of Poe's voice thanking everybody for listening and froze. He had no idea what to do.

He kept his sight on Poe as he watched him pack up his guitar and talk to the owner.

Then their eyes met.

Poe's stomach dropped and he wasn't sure what to think.

Had Finn listened to the song he just played?

He hesitantly made his way across the cafe and found himself sitting in the seat across from Finn. "How long have you been here?" he asked, heart pounding.

Finn pushed a small smile through and replied, "I just got here. I didn't even get to hear you play. What a shame."

"Oh," Poe said with a small sigh of relief. "I'll just have to make sure you catch me another time then."

"Of course," Finn nodded. He glanced at his not-so-hot cup of coffee and grimaced internally. As long as Poe didn't notice it he'd be fine-

"Your coffee is cold," Poe pointed out as he tilted his head curiously at the cup.

Finn wrung his hands together and spattered, "It was from earlier. I brought it from the shoot."

It was a terrible lie but Poe nodded his head slowly as if he was thinking of whether to press further or leave it at that.

If Finn had heard the song and wasn't talking about it, Poe had his answer. So he took a deep breath and drummed his fingers on the table. "So dinner?"

Finn nodded- a little too fast- and the two stood up ready to move on from the awkward moment.

Hopefully dinner would go better.