Chapter 2

There was barely any time for anyone to duck and cover as a Rabbu, a white dragon with piercing blue eyes, zoomed by and shot a fireball at a house. The wooden structure instantly went up in flames, crashing down on its foundation. And just like that, the creature was gone, flying out of sight and no doubt coming back around for another firing run. Pops didn't say another word to Max, just giving him a look that said "stay here" before he hobbled out of the forge, waving his sword around threatening and letting out his own war cry.

Max saw his chance to make a name for himself.

Rushing to the back of the forge, Max yanked off the blanket that had been covering his latest invention. A device capable of throwing a net with rocks tied to its ends, it was gonna make him a legend. Grabbing the wheelbarrow he had it on, he dashed out the back door and through the crowd, making his way over to a cliff side that overlooked the nearby forest. Getting his weapon ready, he turned his attention up to the sky.

And waited.

"Come on, I know you're there..." Max whispered under his breath. He saw a few Pantheras and Sphynxes pass by but he didn't shoot. The teen Viking was waiting for the real trophy, the Rabbu. And he wasn't going to miss his shot. Hearing the familiar sound of an incoming dragon, he glanced up to see it was the one he was looking for. Getting the creature in the line of sight of his weapon, he took a deep breath and fired. And fell over when part of the contraption whacked him in the face.

Rubbing the sore spot on his head, Max sat up just as he heard a loud screech overhead. Shocked, he looked up just as he saw a white figure crash down somewhere deep within the forest. Excitement coursing through his veins, he cheered, "I hit it! I hit it!" Jumping up and down, he cried, "Did anyone else see that?!"

The growl behind him was not the answer he had been looking for.