Chapter 63: Her True Colors

Beginne am Anfang

"It is regrettable that your Uncle died but my time with him made me realize that the very man I wanted was you and I regret that I left you." She begged prettily as she placed a hand on my cheek. "Please give me a chance, my love."

Once upon a time, those words would have made me love her.

But now...I feel nothing.

To a point where I slapped her hand off before it could touch me while giving her my most cold glare as I pushed her away as I opened the door.

"Leone! Wait!" She hugged from behind, her soft voice was becoming desperate. "Please I beg of you to give me a chance! I can even be your mistress of you want! It would be the highest honor for a woman to be with a man as important as you."

So she reveals her true colors.

Mistresses or Concubines are normal amongst ruling royalty in addition to having a Queen. One can even become the Queen in case the first wife passes away or is rendered incapable of doing her duties.

But what she does not know is that Illyria has no such system. A Mistress is viewed as an insult to the Queen's ability to satisfy her King and the very practice is a stain on the Lady's blessing...

It also shows why she is so ardent on pursuing me now. My Father has plans to retire soon and that means the crown will pass to me.

Illyria is fast becoming one of the tourist spots in Europe due to my tourist projects and endless work in improving infrastructure; It could even become a very popular vacation hub in the future.

And she must have investigated all this...

Otherwise, why would she choose to pursue me now when she only flirted with me during the times I tried to seduce her during her early days of marriage to my uncle.

"Let go of me." My voice was already growling softly.

"Leone...darling, please! Think about it! Now that my husband is dead, there is nothing stopping me from being yours. You wanted me badly before right?" She pleaded in a way that somehow irritated me to no end.

Her husband has barely been laid to rest and yet she is so shamefully seducing me....me of all people.

"Detach your arms from my body. NOW." My voice turned heavy and my power vibrated through my voice as she loosened her hold on my waist as I turned to grab her shoulder and slam her into the nearest wall, rattling her neat hairdo. "It is over Laila, it has been over on the very day you played with me and my cousin only to fuck with my uncle."

"I-I was wrong...I know you still-" she started crying but I merely snarled at her.

"I love my duchess. And even if I did not; I still prefer her over a snake like you." I gripped her jaw tight and pressed it threateningly until she cried out. "We are done. Understood?"

I left her there and she slid into a trembling heap but I did not care. Her touch felt wrong...and it was akin to a couple of vipers slithering around me as I went back to the main room to search for my duchess.

Somehow I was worried when I could not see her anywhere when one of the room doors opened and Nikolette's red hair popped out. Her eyes found me instantly and she made a gesture for me to come inside.

Sarina was seated by the fireplace looking somewhat odd from how her head was bowed when I entered. A sliver of jealousy and unconcealed rage passed through our connection.

"I'll excuse myself then, Prince Leonidas," Nikolette said and I thanked her for the assistance before she swiftly left us alone.

I went towards her wondering why was she feeling this way....unless...