CHAPTER SEVENTEEN

Start from the beginning

"Wait, her boyfriend who?"

"Who do you think?" I shrugged. "The one whose eyes could burn."

"Ethan?" She furrowed her eyebrows. "As far as I know, Ethan doesn't date."

"He doesn't?"

Slowly, she shook her head. "No. That's what Vincent told me."

"So you're telling me she just wanted to rub it on my face? Why?" I almost snorted. "She has no reason to lie about that. Besides, I did see Ethan running down the stairs before her. And she— she smelled like him when she talked to me. Disheveled hair, loose straps and you know the rest."

"Well, I don't know. But you should never trust that bitch, she likes to play games."

"Okay, how about you answer this. Do you probably have any idea about them ever having sex?"

She shifted on one leg and rubbed her temple. "Yeah, probably quite a few times. I mean, they go way back but they never dated, that's I'm sure of."

I felt a quick yet painful pang in my chest and somehow my poker face didn't hide it. Or maybe it was just Reem who read me like an open book. Her gaze softened and I smiled. Or tried to smile. "Well, maybe now they are. I mean, if they have sex often then... It's bound to happen."

"I really didn't know you liked Ethan that much." She stroked my arm. "I'm sorry, honey."

"Well, I guess that makes two of us," I sighed. "I didn't know too."

● ● ●

"We're gonna have some nice pizza with Vincent and then we'll go to the ice cream parlor I showed you the other day. You need to do some damage control." Reem said as we entered the restaurant.

I laughed. "Bad idea, been there with Ethan."

For some reason, I just didn't want to cross paths with him. Or even see him anywhere.

Or look into his eyes.

I already felt pathetic and stupid.

"Ugh, well, I guess ice cream in the dorm then." Reem linked her arms with mine as we walked towards Vincent— who by the looks of it— wasn't alone.

Reem then apologized and whispered lowly. "I swear I didn't know Ethan was here. Do you want us to leave? I can talk to Vince."

"No, no need to. It would be weird. I don't want Ethan to know how I feel."

Which meant I needed to work on my poker face.

"Okay." Reem beamed. "Hey, guys!" Then she kissed Vincent and lingered a bit near his neck. I was sure she whispered something to him. She took a seat next to Ethan which I was grateful for.

"Hey, little one." Vincent side-hugged me and I smiled at him.

"Hi. How are you, Vince?"

"I'm great. How are you and how's that job coming along?"

"Pretty good, actually. Thanks." I plopped down on the seat next to him. But God, I felt like Ethan's eyes were burning holes into me the whole time. I couldn't look at him though. It was hard.

"Ethan, you good?" Asked Reem.

"Yeah. Doing great " His voice made my stomach tighten flutter in tight knots. Finally gathering the courage to look at him, I craned my neck to the side. Then our eyes met.