Fate Decided

Chapter Forty-four

I stepped over one of the dead Belibian men's bodies as I walked into the palace. Masses of my people's bodies were spread across the room, their blood spilling out onto the palace floor. Nala looked sick to her stomach as her eyes raked across the room. I wasn't fazed by the sight of blood, but my heart ached over the loss of my people.

"Look at this mess," Jamila complained as we walked. "It's going to take the servants forever to clean this place up."

I restrained the urge to roll my eyes and continued to walk. I could understand sympathizing with the servants, who were bound to clean up this bloodbath, but I knew she only meant it in a 'Oh I have to look at this until then' kind of way.

Jamila suddenly stopped in her tracks.

I looked over at her to see why she stopped.

There was a severed head of a Belibian soldier on the ground, nowhere near a decapitated body. What was so special about this soldier to make her stop and stare? I quickly took in his features and saw that he was a handsome soldier with plump lips and a round nose. Did she know him or was she perhaps beginning to have a heart?

She shrugged and kicked the head out of her path.

Oh. I should've known. That soldier was nothing but in her way.

"Jamila!" I heard that familiar, gut-wrenching voice exclaim.

Everyone looked to see Queen Kiya-Khensa, holding up the hem of her dress with her hand while briskly walking towards us. She hadn't changed one bit since I had last seen her. She must've been well taken care of as a prisoner in her own home. Interesting...

"Mother," Jamila slightly smiled, her voice surprisingly relaxed. If there was one thing I knew about Jamila and her vile mother, they at least loved each other.

Queen Kiya wrapped her arms around her daughter and whispered something softly in her ear, causing Jamila's eyes to widen.

I wondered what it was, but I didn't have time to care. I needed to reach Father and see what happened with Lotus and her tutor. I walked past Queen Kiya and Jamila and into the throne room, sensing their threatening glares on my back.

The throne room looked somewhat different from when I was last here. Father's throne wasn't covered in its usual lion skin. In its place was a zebra skin, probably much more to Lotus's taste. Above the throne where a shield with Pharaoh's crook and flail were mantled were taken down and replaced with a large feather crown. Other than that, the throne room looked the same.

"Welcome back, Princess."

I shivered at the sound of that voice.

Mosi, Nala, and Ekene bowed as King Zulu approached me.

"Your Majesty," I bowed my head. I didn't want to look up at the king, but I knew he would grow irritated if I didn't. His eyes reminded me of a black swimming pool filled with dangerous crocodiles lurking underneath, waiting for the perfect moment to strike.

"I see what Lotus did with the throne room."

I looked past King Zulu and saw Father, his back straightened with his hands behind his back. Father gave the impression that he was strong and healthy, but I saw through his façade. I couldn't help but notice his bloody handkerchief crumpled in his fist, a sign of weakness.

"I must say Lotus didn't change a lot. It definitely reminds me of her though, with the zebra skin and feathered crown. Oh the gods what a silly girl," he chuckled, which soon turned into a fit of coughs. He immediately covered his mouth with his handkerchief and once the coughing ceased, he cleared his throat.