Fifteen Seats but One Empty Chair

Chapter Twenty-six- 

I was so surprised by the male voice that I had almost fallen off the fountain, which could have caused me to sprain or break something. I looked over to see an unfamiliar man dressed in a white toga. I got off of the fountain and walked over to the hedges closer with Nala following behind me. As soon as I was five feet away I took in what was in front of me.

This man was short, for a man at least. He was my height, stocky, fat, light-skinned, and had blue eyes and short curly hair. He had a dignified air to him, meaning that he was someone important to the emperor and Orbus. 

"Who are you may I ask?" I questioned, my eyebrows raised.

"Oh please forgive me, I would bow but you would not be able to see me if I did. My name is Augustus Albia, one of the twelve members of the Emperor's Court."

"Nala go let the man in," I told her. 

Nala let Augustus in and he bowed. I nodded deeply and said,"I am Princess Kamila of Beliba."

He grinned. "You are as beautiful as they say."

"Thank you."

"You are probably wondering why I am here and if I were you I would probably run away in fear-''

I smiled. This Augustus guy may not be pretty to look at but he had a good sense of humor on him, unimaginable for an Orban to have.

 ''-but I am actually here to escort you and your family to the emperor's villa."

The emperor's villa? Oh no, I did not realize that we were about to leave for the dinner! How much time has lapsed? It felt like a mere few hours!

"By the look on your face you seem alarmed but I assure you that you shouldn't be. It is just a simple dinner to welcome the royal family to our country,'' he explained.

"That is not what I am worried about," I responded. I did not want him to think that it was over that. "It's just that I did not realize when Nala and I were in the fountain that we were about to leave for the emperor's dinner. I thought we had a couple of hours to dry."

Augustus held his belly and laughed. "Well you thought wrong, Princess."

I smiled. "Do I think wrongly in that I can go quickly change into something else?"

"But why do it when you look ravishing the way you are?" he raised his eyebrows.

"But not as ravishing as I could look if it were dry," I said persuasively. 

"Okay go ahead, but I expect you to be down here in less than five minutes," he gave up.

"Do not worry I will hurry," I grinned and quickly walked back into the house and ran up the stairs. It was a shame that I could not wear this stola tonight but I guess it shall be saved for another occasion. I settled for a white one instead, matching with my makeup and jewelry. 

As for Nala she changed into a typical Orban servant outfit, and rubbed her cosmetics off, unsure that it would appear acceptable to dress the way she had with me.

When we went back downstairs and into the garden there was a litter waiting for us to get into, held up by six muscular guards. 

"So this is what we will be traveling in?" I asked. 

"Yes, Your Highness," Augustus bowed. 

"Why not walk on foot?"

"You shall understand why not when you are traveling in the litter," Augustus said.