An Unexpected Arrival

Chapter Three-

One of the things I loved most was the library in Beliba's capital, Mordina. It was my favorite place to be. My sisters and I studied there with scholars and our tutors. Well, more like Jamila and I studied for Adilah and Lotus rarely did.

Our library, Mekdabah, was said to have half of the world's knowledge. Mekdabah was the biggest library known to man. Scholars from across the world came just to study and converse there. I was proud of our library. It gave me such pride and joy every time I walked inside. I went there so much that the librarians said Mekdabah was practically mine. I always told them that Mekdabah belonged to the people, but I secretly wished it was mine.

I sat at a window seat overlooking the Ummera as my tutor tried teaching me Orban. According to my father, Orban was an essential language to learn for it belonged to one of the most powerful countries in the world, Orbus. Their language was easy to learn because I have a knack for languages. My tutor, Achedemis, who was Orban, had even said that I was great at learning new languages.

Orbus was a country that didn't intrigue me. The people weren't good looking, they were pigs, and their emperor seemed to care too much about conquest to realize his own country's needs. Achedemis disagreed with me, but I refused to listen to his reasons.

"I am loyal to my mother country," Achedemis said.

"If you were loyal then why are you here in Beliba?" I asked smartly. I had got him there.

Achedemis didn't say anything for a moment and I thought I had won. "Young Princess Kamila, I am here because of this," he said motioning at everything around him. "Mekdabah is the largest library that holds half of the world's knowledge. You had even said so yourself if I recall correctly."

I cocked my head and thought for a minute. "Eh. I still believe that Orbus is a terrible country with a lousy ruler and that you came here to get away from it." A small smile formed upon my lips because I knew what I had just started. 

Achedemis' face turned red with anger. "Princess I-"

"Princess Kamila," a courier interrupted," Pharaoh Ptonic seeks an audience with you. You must come to Mordina immediately."

I flashed a smile at Achedemis. "Thank you, you are dismissed," I said to the courier. I looked at Achedemis. "I presume that our session is over?"

"Indeed it appears so," he replied, his face no longer red.

"Good, now if you'll excuse me I must be leaving," I said getting up.

"Princess," Achedemis said with a small smile slowly appearing on his face.

"Yes my loyal servant?'' I smiled.

"Be mindful of what comes out of that clever mouth of yours. It can get you into some serious trouble."

"I only act this way when I am with you." It was true. Achedemis was the only one I would ever smart back to just because I knew he could handle it. He was distinctly Orban looking with his stocky body and white curly hair. He has known me ever since I was born. In fact, he was in Beliba for several years before I was born.

"I know, you just have to be careful."

"I will, I promise,'' I said and began to leave the room when Achedemis spoke up again.

"Do you know what most Orban men think of women?" he said slowly.

"That we are the kindest, smartest, and most beautiful of all creatures," I laughed.

Achedemis laughed. "Princess you still have a lot to learn. They believe women are the weakest of creatures and think they are rather stupid."

I immediately felt offended. What kind of men were Orbans? They sounded dreadful, but their thoughts were to be expected. Most men believed they were smarter than women.