Chapter 9: Song of Sorrows

The morning was as beautiful and new as it could be, the sun shinned brighter then I'd ever seen it, not a cloud in the sky. A cool breeze filled the trees, rusting it's leaves.

When Valarie rose from her dream we had a long talk about what I had discovered last night. She took it well I mean, I wasn't surprised. The only thing that disturbed her were reapers and "Grim," if I was to be honest I was a bit scared as well. "Theres peace after this," Valarie said hopefully, "I was scared I'd be stuck here forever."

"What are you still holding onto?" I asked Valarie while holding her hand. "The faster we can get you to peace the better I'll feel. We live in a town full of ghosts and people who can hurt you."

"I know," she said softly. "I keep looking back thinking who I could have been if I was alive, I crave it. I'm mad I never got to fall in love, get a job, I'm mad I dont get to live and get to watch you make friends, I get to watch you move on. Which I'm happy for you truly, but I think I'm still holding onto my old life through you, if I'm to be honest I've been too busy looking after you so I dont have to remember I'm dead."

"Being with me doesn't help?" She shook her head sadly. "But if you aren't with me, not that you could ever go far, you could get caught by a reaper damned for eternity."

"Better then getting caught by this "Grim" guy, plus Cullen said Mackay Manor is safe at least from reapers, I could stay there."

"I dont like this idea." Even though she made sense, I didn't like not having her around. I guess we both needed this, we've both been so tied up in us and keeping each other afloat when all we've been doing is playing pretend. I cant live my life in the shadow of a ghost, and Valarie deserved a chance to a life unlike this. "You'll still visit right?" I asked trying to hold back my frustrated tears. Losing my parents and then Valarie was hard, losing Valarie again might destroy me.

"Of course, I'm going to hate this as much as you but its time you live also Blair, you have made such good friends. I seen the way Bryce looked at you last night, he cares about you, explore that."

I didnt like Bryce, well I did but I liked someone more. Bryce didnt drift into my mind every five minutes, he didnt make my heart pound out of my chest. "He's a good friend," I smiled weakly. "I think this will work," I said confidently. "if I learned anything at all its that you dont belong here, there's somewhere for you and I'm hoping its all you'd ever hoped for."

"I love you Blair," she hugged me settling a chill though out my entire body, I could feel it rush through my blood, causing me to feel a bit drained and far away. This was going to work, being with people just like her would be the breakthrough she needs.

"I love you," I said running my hands through her short hair. "You know how crazy this all is?"

Valaries body shifted as she laughed, "I'm sure it'll only get crazier, maybe after I see how dysfunctional these Mackay people are peace will pity me and find me itself."

"Hopefully I get a goodbye."

"If it works like that, when I'm gone its going to be hard I haven't really cried since I died all I've done is dream about what ifs. Its scary, even scarier since I won't have you by my side," she sniffled.

"Ill visit twice a week?" I prompted, "I mean that couldn't hurt right?" I was worried but in some way I felt she would be just fine at the manor, considering not many would even look its way. I wondered if the family slaughtered here still haunted the grounds, I wondered if i was safe since any ghost could touch me. Ive been touched by death somehow, but my soul still remained, nothing made sense. Maybe if I was honest with Cullen he would have had answers for me.