Chapter 17

authors note : thank you guys so much for the kind comments (:

Chapter 17

Kayla was the first to gasp in shock as she turned to look at the young boy who had just walked in. "Damien." she gasped, her mouth was open in shock as she stumbled forward a couple of steps towards him. Tears gathered in her eyes as she lovingly gazed at her son. "Is it really you?" she questioned, her voice breaking slightly.

The said boy was looking at her with an unknown emotion, he hesitantly smiled and took a step forward, "It's me mom."

Instantly, Kayla threw her arms around her son. Tears threatened to spill, but she held them back as she knew now was not the time for crying. She couldn't believe how emotional she had been lately, she brushed it off as to having something to do with her memories. "I'm so glad I'm finally getting to meet you." she said with a deep sigh as her eyes fluttered shut.

Damien seemed to hold her tighter as he heard his mother's words. Tears built up in his eyes and he had to shut them to prevent them from falling down upon his cheeks. "I'm glad I'm getting to meet you too mom."

Kol placed his hand on his son's shoulder, causing his eyes to snap open. He gave him a soft smile, "Hello," he took a deep breath because he was beginning to feel overwhelmed by the emotion in the room, "My son." he wrapped his arms around the two and they stood like that for a few minutes, just absorbed into their own little world.

Paul suddenly cleared his throat to gain their attention, "As lovely as this reunion is," he paused, giving them to chance to separate from their hug and look at him, "We need to discuss what needs to be done next."

Kayla shot Paul a death glare and was satisfied when she saw him flinch in fear. She gave Kol a smug smirk, "I told you I could be scary." she said through their mind link.

Kol simply rolled his eyes at her antics and looked at Paul, "What more is to be discussed? We already have our memories back."

"Yes, but you guys need to return to the underworld." Damien chimed in, "And to do that, you guys have to be restored to your original god-like form."

Paul shot Damien a small thankful look, "Which means, you two have to die." he added as he looked back over at the two.

Kol let out an amused chuckle, "You guys seem to forget, I'm an Original. I can't be killed."

"Yes you can." Kayla spoke up, she didn't once take her arm away from Damien's shoulders as she talked, "You just need to get a white oak stake."

"But there are no white oak stakes darling, Klaus had them all destroyed."

Paul and Damien glanced at each other before looking back at Kol with a questioning look. "Have you not been in contact with Klaus?" Damien questioned, his tone sounding incredulous.

"He's been keeping a white oak stake hidden in one of the caskets for quiet some time now." Paul explained.

Kayla furrowed her eyebrows in frustration, "He just always has to have some sort of control over everyone."

"What will happen once we die?" Kol asked, it was clear that he was unsure about the whole thing.

"Well," Paul began, "You will both be returned to your original bodies."

Kayla interrupted, "But this is what we looked like before we were reborn."

"He means that you guys will be turned back into a God and a Goddess. You will no longer be a mortal and a vampire." Damien explained, he then motioned for Paul to continue.

"Thank you. Now, as I was saying, you will be returned into your original bodies and then you will resume your tasks as king and queen of the underworld. Everything will go back to normal."

Kayla nodded her head and listened intently, it sounded almost too easy in her opinion. But when Kol looked at her for confirmation, she nodded her head. They had both already been to hell and back, there was no way things could get much worse.

"It's settled then," Kol stated, "We'll visit my brother first thing in the morning."

Kol sat down on the bed and Kayla went to join him. She had grabbed Damiens hand and led him over to sit with them as well, leaving Paul awkwardly standing by himself. "I'll be going I guess." he said, nobody made a move to stop him, so he disappeared as quickly as he could.

Kayla kept Damiens hand in her lap as they sat there in silence. Each one of them were scared to say anything, they had all missed out on a big part of their lives. "I'm sorry we weren't there for you." Kayla finally said, her voice full of sorrow.

Damien pulled her into a hug, "It wasn't your fault mom."

Kol made eye contact with his son, his own eyes full of a deep sorrow, "No but it was mine." he stated, "I could have tried harder to fight against Zeus, but I didn't. And for that I will forever be sorry."

"Dad," Damien began with a firmness in his voice, "You did all that you could. It's nobody's fault, this couldn't be helped. I'm just glad that I'm with you guys now." his voice had gotten softer as he finished his sentence.

Kol nodded and slowly began to believe him. "Okay." he said in a soft voice. A small smile appeared on his face and he decided to just let the subject go. "So Paul huh?"

Kayla pulled herself out of Damien's arms and turned to face him, "Oh yeah! Tell us all about how you met, how you fell in love, what the wedding was like and anything else you're willing to tell us!" an excited grin painted her face as she eagerly stared at him.

Damien could feel his cheeks become red with embarrassment. He let out a small laugh, "Well it all began when..." He told them everything they wanted to know. They all began to grow closer that night, and Damien finally felt like he had a family.