(12) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 12

The car keys were in my jeans pocket so as we ran towards the car I threw them at Sidney who caught them easily and jumped in behind the wheel. I quickly got into the passenger side and leaned over Sidney to lock his door. He smiled at me as I did this, making me feel slightly better.

I placed my bag with the drugs in on the floor behind my seat but kept the gun on my lap, hoping that I wasn’t going to have to use it.

“Where did you get that?” Sidney asked, looking at the gun for a second before pulling the car out between the tree and the building.

“I stole it from the people at the farm,” I answered, hoping that Sidney wasn’t going to be angry at me about everything I had done to get the drugs.

“You better start from the beginning, tell me everything that happened so that we can figure out who is chasing us,” Sidney instructed.

I started telling him about what happened at the lab and then about the farm house and how I went to go see the drug dealers and broke into the hospital. By the time I was done explaining everything to him he was looking at me with the strangest expression on his face.

“Shouldn’t you be keeping your eyes on the road?” I asked, feeling a bit nervous because of the way he was looking at me.

“No, I won’t hit anything,” he replied, not bothering to look back at the road. It was the middle of the day and there were cars all around us but I believed him.

“Why are you looking at me like that?” I asked when I couldn’t take it anymore. I needed to know what he was thinking.

“I just can’t believe that you did all of that to save my life. How did I ever get so lucky?” Sidney replied, causing me to blush.

“I’m the lucky one, if it wasn’t for you I’d still be stuck in the lab,” I stated honestly, there was no way I could have escaped without his help.

“If it wasn’t for you I never would have been able to escape in the first place,” Sidney replied, his eyes staring at me like I was some sort of special diamond.

“Let’s just say that we would both be screwed without each other,” I stated, smiling at him.

“Ok, but I’m only agreeing because I know you’ll keep arguing until I do,” Sidney chuckled as he looked back at the road for the first time since we started our little debate.

“Who do you think is chasing us?” I finally asked, having to have built up the courage first. I wasn’t quite sure if I really wanted to know because it would make the situation real and I was getting tired of running. I just wanted to find a place where Sidney will be safe and where we could live happily ever after but I had a feeling that wasn’t going to happen, not anytime soon anyway.

“My first thought was that it’s Jeremy but there is too many of them so I’m thinking that it must be the government. You did say that the tape surrounding the lab said that it was property of the US Government so it makes sense that they would be looking for us,” Sidney answered, causing my insides to crawl with fear. I had expected that it was the Government as well but hearing him say it out loud was terrifying.

“Do you think Jeremy is with them?” I asked, trying to stay calm but failing miserably.

“I don’t know but I think so. He seems to be obsessed with you,” Sidney answered, his eyes tightening with anger as he spoke the words.

“I know,” I replied, feeling my hatred towards Jeremy grow stronger with every second that passed. He was supposed to be my friend but I guess I never really knew the real him.

“What are we going to do now?” I asked, unable to think of a way we could possible escape from the Government.

“We keep running and fighting until we come up with a plan,” Sidney answered, sounding much more in control of his emotions then I was.

“Ok,” I agreed, my voice shaking with fear.

After that we were both quiet as Sidney made his way through the traffic. At around five we stopped at a garage to fill the car up with petrol and quickly bought some sandwiches and sodas at the shop before taking off again. I still had some money left from what I had stolen but it wasn’t going to last us much longer.

We ate as we drove and then Sidney insisted that I try to get some sleep. I didn’t want to but laid down in the back seat anyway since I could tell that he was worried about me and what I’ve been through to save his life. It took me a while but when I finally did fall asleep I had the best dream ever. Sidney and I were living in a little cabin somewhere at the top of a mountain. The little house was homey and although we didn’t talk about anything that made sense I knew that it was ours and that we were safe.

I woke up with new found determination. Sidney and I were going to have a happy life no matter what I had to do to get it.

“My turn to drive,” I stated, sitting up and looking at the car watch. It was just after two in the morning.

“No, you should rest,” Sidney replied, still looking concerned.

“I’ve rested enough, now it is your turn. If we are going to get out of this alive you need to be strong and that means you need to rest,” I stated as I climbed to the front seat.

“Ok, but if you see or hear anything suspicious you have to wake me up immediately,” he replied, not looking very happy about the idea at all.

“I will, now go get some sleep,” I replied as I maneuvered onto Sidney’s lap and took control of the car.

He held me tightly in his arms for a second and then gently kissed my neck before moving out from under me and onto the back seat.