(7) Project Survival

Project Survival

Chapter 7

I ran to the building, only slowing my pace when I reached it. There was nobody around so I headed to a big door in the centre of the building. It looked like some sort of warehouse and had a strange smell to it.

I took a deep breath and knocked on the door. There were some scuffling noises inside but nobody opened so I knocked again. This time the door flew open and I was greeted with a gun pointed straight at me.

“What do you want?” the man holding the gun asked. I was terrified and for a second I considered running away but instead I stood my ground.

“I want to by some Sliver potion,” I stated, trying to act calm. The man with the gun made some sort of signal with his hand and within a second he was joined by two more men. They were even bigger and scarier looking than him, if that was even possible.

“Who sent you?” one of the other guys asked. He didn’t look as cautious as the one holding the gun. He actually looked intrigued.

“Sully sent me, he said I should speak with Cramer,” I replied, hoping that this was going to work and I wasn’t going to end up dead in a lake or something.

“Why didn’t you just say that in the first place?” the guy with the gun asked.

“I… I was… going to,” I stuttered, not really sure what to say or do now.

“Never mind, John will show you the way,” he said, looking at another guy that was standing a few feet away. This guy wasn’t big like the rest of them. Instead he was short and skinny but that didn’t stop him from looking dangerous.

I approached him with caution, not sure if they were planning on helping me or killing me.

“Follow me,” he said and then started walking to a door on the far side of the room. I followed him across the room, through the door and into a passage. The passage was dimly lit and had only three doors. Two on the side and one at the end. John led me to the door at the end where we were greeted by another two huge men with guns.

“Sully sent her,” John said to the men. The both looked at me in confusion before opening the door.

“I’ll wait here,” John said, gesturing for me to enter the room with his hands. I stepped through the door and looked around me in surprise. This room did not look anything like the rest of the building. It was fancily decorated with thick carpets and beautiful paintings. There was a guy sitting on a comfortable looking chair in one of the corners. He held a huge gun in his hands but looked at ease.

“How can I help you?” A voice asked. It came from the opposite side of the room. There was a huge desk with a chair behind it. The chair was turned so that its back was facing me. It made me think of all the corny gangster movies that I’ve seen on TV before. But this wasn’t a movie, it was real and I was playing with fire.

“I want to buy some Sliver potion,” I replied, wanting to get this whole thing over with as fast as possible. There were a few seconds of silence and then the voice behind the chair started laughing insanely.

I didn’t know what was going on so I just stood there until he stopped laughing.

“Do you have money?” the voice asked, serious now.

“Yes,” I replied nervously.

“Ok then,” the voice said as the chair spun around. On it sat a small man with the face of a monster. It was badly deformed and looked like he had somehow burnt it. Parts of his skin were hanging loosely and it had a strange greenish color to it. It was the single most hideous thing I have ever seen in my life.

“Yes, take a good look, this is what’s going to happen to you too,” the little man said. His lips turned up into a smile causing slime to drip down onto his stained shirt. I was shocked beyond believe but couldn’t let him see it. I needed him to sell me the drugs.

“I know the consequences. Now can we please get on with it?” I asked, acting brave but feeling terrified.

“Yes, yes, it’s a shame thought, you're such a pretty little thing,” he said, shaking his head. I didn’t reply to his comment. I was too afraid that I would say something to make him change his mind.

“Henderson, bring me the briefcase,” the little man ordered, turning his attention to the man that was sitting on the couch.

“Yes, boss,” the guy replied as he got up from the couch and made his way over to a cupboard on the other side. He took a briefcase out of it and placed it in front of the little man on the desk.

“How many do you want?” the little man asked. I had no idea how much he charged for one and I didn’t want to look like a fool so instead of answering him, I pulled the money from my pockets and placed it on the table next to the briefcase.

“As many as that can buy me,” I replied, hoping that it would be a lot. I really didn’t want to return to this place any time soon and I had no idea how much money I had just given him.

The little man looked surprised but didn’t argue. He picked up the stack of bills and swiftly counted them before opening his drawer and placing the money inside. He took out a brown paper bag and then opened the briefcase. The drug was a clear white powder packed into little see through sachets.

He started counting down as he placed one sachet at a time into the brown paper bag. When he got to fifty he closed the briefcase and handed me the paper bag.

“Don’t tell anybody where you got this,” he said and then turned his chair around again.

“I won’t,” I replied as I headed towards the door.

John was waiting right outside. He met me with a curious smile when he saw the bag in my hands but didn’t ask any questions. He led me to the front door and then watched as I headed off into the darkness.  I was scared shit less but as I made my way further and further away from the building I started to relax.

I quickly made my way down the streets that led by the clubs and to the car. The first thing that I did when I got in was to check on Sidney. He was breathing heavily and burning up with fever reminding me that I didn’t have much time left to find the other drug.