Chapter 5 - Friendship

Začít od začátku

As lunch progressed after the bickering had quelled, general conversations were exchanged. I looked between those who spoke but didn't say anything myself. I stayed alert though when Kondo san mentioned that the Shinsengumi had only recently joined hands with a man named Itou Kashitaro who was a well-known scholar and skilled swordsman in Edo. He was the head of the Itou Dojo where Heisuke had learnt Kenjutsu and was now the Military Advisor to the Shinsengumi. Not many seemed to like him though because of his cocky attitude but he was an ally that Kondo san didn't want to let slip away during these unstable times. In fact, Itou san was to visit the headquarters sometime next month for some important discussions over tea and I was to meet him as well and offer my services as a doctor to his men too, if they ever needed it.

I was also told not to mention anything about Sannan san to anyone and Itou san during our meeting since he was actually believed to be dead. He had turned into a Rasetsu himself after taking a special medicine and had been put down, so to say. He was the leader of the Shinsengumi's Rasetsu unit but he was in hiding for now, researching the Ochimizu to find ways to improve the way it affected the humans who consumed it.

"But...the Rasetsu I met the other day didn't have control over themselves," I said, eyeing Sannan san uneasily.

"The Ochimizu gives humans Oni-like abilities – extreme regeneration and an increase in physical strength. Its severe side effect is that it makes the one who has consumed it bloodthirsty and weak in the sunlight. However, I have been trying to improve it and remove the side effects," Sannan san explained. "I have managed to make it possible for Rasetsu to move around in the sunlight without feeling any fatigue but the bloodlust still remains."

"Oh...so the Rasetsu will lose their mind if they see blood? That's what the two who attacked me kept saying – they kept asking me for blood," I said in a soft voice.

"That's right." Sannan san had his eyes closed in mild displeasure but he sighed and looked up with a smile soon enough, "No matter though – I will come up with a way to upgrade the Ochimizu to a medicine without those side effects soon."

I nodded slowly and thought of another thing that he had mentioned that had piqued my interest. He mentioned that the Rasetsu had Oni-like powers...was that a figure of speech or was a comparison to real Oni that existed in this time period? I didn't get a chance to ask or think about it more because Kondo san spoke up.

"We're counting on you, Sannan kun," he said with confidence. "I suppose we can wrap up these discussions for now. Let's spend the rest of lunch without any heavy topics."

"That sounds like a good idea!" Nagakura san cheered before voraciously eating his second helping of rice.

The rest of lunch passed by pleasantly – I took the chance to request everyone to be less formal with me in between – and everyone dispersed to their respective jobs after that. I was escorted to the infirmary by two of the Shinsengumi's men who were designated to guarding me at all times – more like keep an eye on me – and I got to know that their names was Fuuji san and Nishiro san. When I reached the infirmary, the two men I had identified as unwell were sitting on the floor waiting for me to arrive and give them treatment. I greeted them with a smile, which they returned with a bow.

"Kondo san asked us to receive treatment from you at the earliest, Sensei," one of them said.

"I understand. Can you please take off your haori so I can examine you better?" I asked and took a seat in front of the man who had the congestion in his lungs.

He seemed a little awkward to do so but took off his haori nonetheless. I proceeded with doing basic check-ups first – I checked his pulse at the base of his neck, his eyes and his tongue. I then placed my hand on his chest while closing my eyes to make a mental map of what was going on in his body by noticing his breathing pattern and even the slightest variations in the way his body felt.